Do GSDs EVER settle down? Behaviour

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by pinkgunner, Mar 5, 2012.

1. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Thank you to you all for taking the time to give advice. If I'm perfectly honest, there has been other problems at home recently, totally unrelated to Diesel, and I think his behaviour on top of everything else has taken it's toll.

There has been some wonderful advice from everyone, and I've taken it all on board. I thought about it and I dont want to rehome him, I'm his world (well, me and Ruby) it's not his fault I'm struggling to cope and I think with some extra work and perserverance we'll get throught it.

We did some great training today, just basic, sit, down, stand, wait, leave etc, we've done two lots of 20-30 mins and I guess it's not too much to do if it helps him chill and me get a break. First thing on my list, get him back into training classes. The guy who does them has loads of experience with GSDs, so I'll see what he thinks and then maybe do some one on one with him.

I'm going to get him into agility, he's got to pass an assessment first, but he's got a great temperament he's just full on, but he's just a puppy so I've got to keep trying to remember that he's a young brain in an adult dogs body. They do a class at agility for beginners and young dogs that can't do the jumps yet, small jumps and opportunities to try out the other obstacles. He might not pass the assessment du to his lead reactivity, but it's not aggressive at all, so I can only try.

Thanks again to everyone, I appreciate all the advice and after reading stories of others struggling, at least it's not just me going through it!

xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    That is all brilliant - well done!!!
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am glad you are feeling more positive.

I wonder if part of the problem is that you refer to him as "just a puppy"?

Because of course he is not.

What he is, is the canine equivalent of a teenager and sometimes they need help to develop into a well mannered young man rather than an out of control young thug.

Good luck
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Well done.
    I just wanted to say that the `omg what have I done this dog has to go back` moment is not that uncommon with a new(ish) dog. :lol:
    Also the `I need to climb under a duvet with comfort food` moments. ;-)
    Good luck with your Plan. Remember - you get good days and bad days. Write down the good days because we tend to forget them. :grin:
  6. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Just thought I'd give anyone who's interested an update on things -

Things are getting better slowly, his pulling is not as 'steam train!' He is walking much better on his lead, still pulls a bit but not half as bad.

We have managed to pass a few dogs on leads in the street without him lunging, he's interested but as they approach I've been talking to him and managed to distract him a bit. Although there is a Dalmatian that he cannot pass without going nuts, but the other day when I passed the same dog and I had Ruby with me, she started lunging at it and she has NEVER done that to any dog, she did get attacked by a Dalmatian last year and I don't know if its the same dog and its giving off bad vibes or something, which is maybe why Diesel reacts to it??

Next good news! - Me and Diesel went to the shop last night and he's usually hyper in there and we have a bit of a wrestling match to keep him under control. Last night we had to do a full walk round the shop to get to the back of the queue and he was FAB! We joined the end of the queue and he just sat next to me without being asked, he was nice and calm, everyone was saying what a lovely dog he is and the girl in the shop came to stroke him and instead of launching himself at her, he just sat really nice licking her arm while she stroked him! I was so proud of him haha!

He's still hyper in the house, but one thing at a time and even though the things I've mentioned may not seem much to some people, its huge for me :)

I've taken on board lots of advice from people on here and its really helping, as you may know, I was at my wits end but things are starting to improve and I'm so grateful to everyone for their kind and helpful posts x
  7. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    well done on the progress, keep it going

perhaps you need a higher value reward for the dalmation - what's their favourite food?
  8. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    I find that teaching dogs a different way of coping takes a long long time - much longer than you`d think.
    It took me years to retrain Daisy. Prince is just beginning to come round after 6 months. You get good days and bad days, but the progress is sure if slow. That`s why it`s important to make a note (or post) about your successes. Because the setbacks stick in your mind and the milestones don`t. :grin:
    Well done and all the best.
  9. talassie

talassie New Member

Name:
    Irena
    I'm glad things are getting better for you. These small successes are so important. You feel happier and I think your dog senses that you are more positive and comfortable with him, and you can go on to build on those good feelings. It takes time but there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

I think loose lead walking is hard to teach. It is not like a sit which is done and rewarded and over with quickly. The dog is expected to remember not to pull for a long period of time.
  10. ClaireandDaisy

Name:
    Claire
    Prince behaved like a complete t****er in the Park today and I got really cross and put his lead on and stomped home, muttering. He walked impeccably on a loose lead all the way home (the first time he`s done so), radiating GoodBoy-ness. Git!
    Thought I`d mention that in case you think other people`s dogs are well behaved all the time. :lol:
  11. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Zane is the best trained of my lot and it's him who forgets his manners, runs off, and is a general pain in the butt at times. fortunately, ebcause he's trained, he only has these relapses every 6-8 months or so.

right now I'm having to go right back to teh beginning with Zane on his recall. He decided to go say hello to another dog in the park (his gGreat Dane friend, Max) but I hadn't released him to do so. When I called him back, although he stopped, he didn't come back to me. So more training required.

So as C&D says, not everyone's dogs are 100% perfect 100% of the time.
  12. susie fischer

susie fischer New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    I have two pedigree german shepherds. My boy has just had his eleventh birthday and has been one of the easiest dogs to have around that I have ever had. Even as a pup he didn't chew: no aggression towards people or dogs; intelligent and really easy to train. Bonded with him and him with me instantly. Love at first sight!!
    My girl on the other hand was a nightmare from day 1. Hyperactive, noisy, destructive and a total pain. Impossible to groom and just generally not very likeable!! However she is coming up to a year old now and seems to be bonding with me a lot more and I think is probably starting to settle down a little. I am teaching her to track which gives us a little 1-2-1 time and is she finds it enjoyable, we will probably have a go at search and rescue.
    Try not to get disheartened as there will be light at the end of the tunnel - it's just that it is often really hard to see!
    Is your boy entire? If he is, having his bits off might help although it is not a "quick fix". I had a Great Dane/GSD who was the height of a great dane with the coat, build and intelligence of a GSD and having his bits removed certainly helped him to focus more on me and less on what was going on around him.
  13. BusyElvis

BusyElvis New Member

Name:
    Kell
    My previous dog (albeit a different breed... mine was a rottweiller) was exactly the same as your describing. If its any comfort, for us, what your going through now was the most difficult stage, and when you see this bit through, it'll settle down a good bit.

When mine was your dogs age, i had him at the dog psychologist at the vet, which wasn't much good at all, then we took him to obedience classes, and even that trainer really struggled with him (i remember at one point she called him a 'balshy little B****r',lol, so i can empathise. I even took mine back to the breeder for advice, and i even confessed that i could NEVER leave him alone with kids.

When i shouted at him, he would march up to the back of the living room and quite proudly pee in the same spot every time!

But there is light at the end of the tunnell. once we reached the end of the obedience training he really started to do what he was told (then it occurred to me... it wasn't the dog that was getting taught at the obedience classes... it was me!!) lol

After that... i won't lie and say the problems got better, they just got different! only they ended up being problems that we could laugh at! then eventually we ended up with a dog that was just quirky! (by quirks i mean a dog that loved and 'sang/howled' to opera, he was terible to travell with in a car and managed to destroy every dog guard within a millisecond, lol) But we actually grew to really love these things about him! At the moments were we were really down (after a close bereavment) he started acting up a wee bit to take your mind off it (yes i really do believe that).

What i'm saying in a really long winded way... Is stick with it! It'll all become worth it. and if Diesel is anything like our dog, he'll be your best friend! like people have said in earlier posts, just look at his good points just now and you'll get through it... But trust me, i can empathise!!
  14. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I
  15. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    I was given my unattended, untrained, GSD at about a year of age. I went through most of the trouble you’ve been putting up with. Almost went with euthanasia.
    I have the best trainer. He trained military K9s and is now in charge of our PD K-9 unit.
    I think the biggest help was his kennel, cage, house, whatever you call it, it is a place where NOTHING BAD HAPPENS. If he’s not afraid of his kennel.....Whenever he starts getting obnoxious, he goes in his kennel. Never ever respond to his barking. He’ll get used to it. It seems strange, but after he stops barking, his mind will relax. After you get him used to it.....it’s like giving his mind a tranquilliser (sp). After a few times of calming his mind, you will see a different dog. His cage is not a punishment, it gets his mind right and relaxed. Whenever he gets on your nerves, put him in his kennel. I leave mine in there at least a half hour after he stops barking! It’ll take a few times, but it works. Remember, his cage is a calm, relaxing, pleasant, safe place. NEVER act like you are punishing him with the cage.
    It wouldn’t hurt to call your local PD and ask for a K-9 Officer. He should be able help with a trainer. Some Police K-9 Officers will help you for a small fee. At least they should know of one. Believe me, you need an expert. I know how a GSD will take advantage, and be a bully if you let him.
  16. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Our GSD is somewhere around 24 months. Your story sounds like mine. I got so desperate, I called the Police and asked if a K9 handler would contact me. He did. He saw what a disaster I had on my hands. He took him for 20 days. He came back a different dog. Calm, happy, etc. Max loves his trainer. Very important, it shows there is no abuse going on. The K9 Officer comes back every couple of weeks to help me understand a Shepherd’s ways and how to control him.
    Anyway, if I was you, I’d start with the Police, if you have no luck...you need a professional trainer before things go really sideways. GSDs can get really out of control.
    Best of luck. You do need a kind hearted professional though.
    P.S. our gsd was with the constant attention too. That’s all gone now. It’s amazing what a decent professional trainer can do.