Singing Questions

Discussion in 'Border Terrier' started by Shrimp, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Shrimp

Shrimp New Member

Name:
    Amanda

Singing

I need to ask and I know it’s early days yet with my BT cross but do Border Ts whistle & whine is this sort of normal?
    Never had a Border before, looked after my cousins for a week or so but he is old, deaf & a bit crotchety!
    I suppose in time the ‘singing’ will ease off, at the moment she ‘sings’ for her supper, if one of us is out of sight-I know, anxiety-& in the car-probably anxiety again-and any time in between really!
    I bought her a composite ‘bone’ for in the car and that seemed to help, until it disappeared under my seat!
    She is learning a lot and is a lot quieter on walks that she already knows, a new walk is a bit frantic, she needs to see all of it instantly!
    She can learn and does so quite quickly but tends to ‘forget’ just as quickly!
    I can see her staying on her leash for quite a while yet!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is still very early days Amanda and it will take a bit of time yet for Fudge to learn what she "has" to keep in her memory and what her boundaries are with you. Do not forget that Fudge was not with you for the first four years of her life things are still new for her.

Regarding keeping her on her leash during walks, I would suggest not letting her loose until you are sure that she has 100% recall when you are out and until then use a long training lead on her [not an extending one] so she can roam around but you still have control over her. That way will make sure that she cannot run off and possibly be in danger.

As for singing - I do not think it is specific to any particular breed as during the summer we have up to half a dozen different ice-cream vans coming round, especially on a Friday, and Tikki, like the two before her, sings her little head off as soon as she hears a jingle - head raised to the heavens and S I N G to tell everyone!

She also talks, especially when I open her crate in the morning before she even pushes the door open after I have unlocked it. The same at night when she goes into it and I close it - it as if she has to have a chat to say Good Morning or Good Night, also when she decides it is meal time. Pereg, my previous girl used to have long conversations with my computer guy whenever he was here, and whatever he was doing he would chat with her "did you really?" sort of thing.

All dogs are all different even if they are the same breed or from the same litter. I think it would be would be rather boring if they were all identical in behaviour and habits!
  4. Shrimp

Shrimp New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Thanks, yes I know it’s too early to expect miracles I just wanted to know a bit more about the Border T.
    She really is a darling so happy to give cuddles & kisses, she is brilliant at night in her bed & doesn’t move ‘til morning, she sits as soon as I put her food down and has learnt not to dive in until told.