Jus adoped Bull mastive and he doesn't listen Behaviour

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by Kimberley Simmons, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Kimberley Simmons

Kimberley Simmons New Member

Name:
    Kimmi

Jus adoped Bull mastive and he doesn't listen

Recently I adopted a 4 year old bull mastive. He's great except he does not listen to me. He was in a bad place before i got him. How can I get him to listen at such an age?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Kaitlynn and GsdSlave like this.
    You really need to find out what motivates him. With some dogs it is toys and praise, but for the majority of dogs, special tasty bits of food can be used to lure a behaviour, or into a position, and also as a reward when he gets things right. Choose treats that you can easily carry in your pocket, like baked liver, or cubes of Edam cheese. It sounds as if you haven't had a great deal of experience with dogs, and a Bull Mastiff is perhaps not the easiest breed to start with. I think I might try looking for a dog training class nearby, where a gentle trainer might be able to give you some practical ideas.

Just an afterthought. Has he has been checked to make sure that he isn't deaf?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Does he look at you when you talk to him or turn away from you when you speak, or does he completely ignore you?
  5. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    If your post title's grammar is anything to go by, no wonder he doesn't listen?!
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I'm sorry but... LOL!!!!! This is hilarious but of course not helpful at all. (gigglesnort)
  7. Kaitlynn

Kaitlynn New Member

Name:
    Kaitlynn
    I am having similar issues with my 8month old female rescue. She is starting to respond when I lower my voice and be stern with her.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019