Shiba Inu and a Golden Questions

Discussion in 'Japanese Shiba Inu' started by Aleona, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Aleona

Aleona New Member

Name:
    Aleona

Shiba Inu and a Golden

Hi!

I have read a lot about Shibas and came to a conclusion that I really want a Shiba puppy. But that's when a question arises..

Probably, I will move in with my boyfriend sometime soon. He loves dogs, he knows how to train them, although his experience is limited to a couple of Golden Retrievers. In fact, he has one now. Nice and friendly dog, super well trained, he is 5, he is castrated and he is generally not interested in other dogs. Nor people. He loves food and his balls/sticks. If a dog tries to take it, he's not happy. He's incredibly fond of me as well and always needs attention and pets (he gets jealous if we pet cats and asks for the same).

I read that Shibas are not very good with other dogs. Would this be an issue for us, especially if my Shiba will not interact with the dog till we actually move in together?

Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Like people, dogs are individuals, and you can't forecast how they are going to react to each other. I would be inclined to leave getting a puppy Shiba until you move in together, as it is easier to introduce a puppy to an adult, than two independent adult dogs. Otherwise, make sure that they spend lots of time together while you are still living in separate houses.
  4. Kate26

Kate26 New Member

Name:
    Kate
    hey,

I’ve learnt that shiba Inus are all different; I own two shiba Inus and let me tell you they are not alike at all; one is very stubborn, independent, hates other dogs, and the other is very chill, super friendly with other dogs. I love shibas, both of my dogs are great with my toddler and they are very patient with her as well, I can not ask for better dogs. ;)
  5. Floyd and Sol

Floyd and Sol New Member

Name:
    petra
    Hello Kate, this is for sure way to late to reply but I just subscribed to this page. We got a foster shiba inu 2 years ago and we already owned a golden retriever, they were both 5 years old at the time. Our golden is super social and never has issues with other dogs so in the beginning Floyd - the shiba - was aggressive towards her. But it stopped with some work (when he was being aggressive he needed to stay in the bathroom for 1 minute) or we would cuddle the golden and he had to stay calm and watch. But now they are best friends. They love each other and if sometimes in wanna walk the shiba without the Goldie he doesn't even wanna walk.... so yes. they can become very best friends!