Advice Questions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Theresa N, May 3, 2020.

1. Theresa N

Theresa N New Member

Name:
    Theresa

Advice

Hi everyone, wondering if any of you other Ridgeback owners have had issues with their anal glands? I've had to have mine get his expressed 2-3 times over the years, most recently a couple weeks ago. He is still excessively licking his behind, and this hasn't been an issue in the past. He is 9 now and I'm wondering if his age has something to do with it. I'll be calling the vet back on Monday but was wondering in the meantime if anyone had any insight/experience. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Theresa N likes this.
    My little girl (Border Terrier) has had issues with hers from being a tiny pup. She can go for a year or so and be fine, then we have to have them emptied every month for 3 or 4 months, then she's fine again for another long while.

I've never found a solution to it although I've tried everything from the stuff you buy at the vets, grated carrots etc.

Her stools are firm so nothing to do with that.

It remains a mystery and probably always will. She's 9 in September so I doubt things will change
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Theresa N likes this.
    I found ‘Protexin’ Veterinary Pro-Fibre very good for anal problems, ‘Glandex’ Fibre Supplements are also supposed to be very good.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Theresa N likes this.
    I check on Merry's anal glands about once a month. One side can need emptying - always her left one. She always has a full, firm stool, so that isn't the reason. The sac became infected a few years ago, and the vet that treated her said that the left one was sited higher than the one on the opposite side. He thought this could be the reason why it was less efficient, and suggested removing it if it became infected again. With regular checking and emptying there has been no problem since, - quite often there is little or nothing there to empty.
    The Beags have a mixed vegetable stew on their kibble - but I don't know whether that makes any difference.
  6. Theresa N

Theresa N New Member

Name:
    Theresa
    Thank you! Where can I buy these supplements?
  7. Theresa N

Theresa N New Member

Name:
    Theresa
    Thank you! I'm glad things are going well, hopefully I can figure it out for my boy!
  8. Theresa N

Theresa N New Member

Name:
    Theresa
    Yes, Banjo's glands have had to be expressed every few years, but it's never persisted until now. I'll be looking into some extra fiber for his diet and hopefully that will help! Thank you!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Theresa N and CaroleC like this.
    You could always try sprinkling some oat bran on Banjo's food, or mixing a small spoonful of it with some water and adding it to his food that way.
  10. Theresa N

Theresa N New Member

Name:
    Theresa
    I just put some bran on his food, thank you! Hopefully it will help for now
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  12. #lovemydogs

#lovemydogs New Member

Name:
    Barb
    Hi there we have a 3 year old ridge and he was licking for a long time and then I smelled a fishy scent which I looked up that led me to finding that smell is a signal to needing to expel his glands, I read a article that said sometimes wetting their dry kibble a bit can help in the long term, which seems to be working for our guy