Eye Problem. Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Mar 14, 2020.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Yes, when I remember where I saw the paper, I'll post a link.
    I hope neither of us will need this help in the future, but it could point someone in a new direction.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hope all goes well next Wednesday x
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you - as you say, it could be of help to someone, although with תִּקְוָה [TIKVA - hope] it will not be us.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    IMG_20200701_142429.jpg
    Eddie was admitted for his little procedure this morning, but the vet seems to have done a slightly different operation to the one we thought he was having. It is quoted as Superficial Keratotamy on the bill. It was done under sedation rather than just a local anaesthetic, and the debridement was done using a diamond burr (Algerbrush). He has overlaid an A-cell disc, and tacked the third eyelid across for the next ten days. This procedure has a high success rate, so we're hoping for the best.
    The collar is overkill, and the poor boy keeps tripping over it, but I'm sure he would rub out his tacking stitch if we were to take it off - he has had a couple of goes already. I'm hoping we are not going to have to sleep in shifts like we did when Tweed had her tail amputated - I don't mind late nights, but not no nights!
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I hope that Eddie's eye heals and that the operation will have been successful. I also hope that the collar does not bother him too much, and, of course, that you and Chas do not have to do the sleep shift thing again.

Please give cuddles to both Eddie and Merry from me, as always. xx
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is raining, and Ed has been in the garden. I have just, gently, rubbed him dry. He yelped when I rubbed his spine. He is on CoCodamol for pain control. This dog is turning into a walking disaster! Chas says he may have been twisted on the table. Sigh!
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor Eddie, he's really been through it, hope he feels better soon x
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie has almost gone mad attempting to claw at his eye today. The blue collar is too big and too floppy to let him settle in his bed, so we needed an alternative. Chas ran down into Stoke to try to pick up a Buster inflatable collar for him, but he couldn't get one, and came home with a Thrive inflatable collar. To cut the story short, Ed can still reach his eye with the new collar on, it may be OK for walks, but Ed is back in the big blue one tonight. I'm exhausted already, and still.another week to go before we see the vet again!
    A picture of Beagley misery. Even his good eye looks inflamed.
    IMG_20200704_215905.jpg
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor puppy dog. I wish all of you luck in making it through the next week
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh poor Eddie - he does look so miserable and utterly fed-up. I feel like I wand to reach through the monitor and give him a gentle hug.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Actually I think you could do with a [​IMG] as well Carole.xx
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    We are both tired and touchy. Chas says he is going to use the useless inflatable collar to lean against! Ed is sleeping at the moment with no lampshade on. They had cooked liver on their lunch today, so they are well contented.
    I have finally twigged that when Eddie uses a hind leg, it is his ear that he is trying to scratch - not his eye! He has been a good boy today, I hope this is a sign that his eye is becoming more comfortable.
  14. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    The old collar sure is boofy... There doesn't seem like any way of trimming it down to size either... At least when he is finished with it you can wear it as a skirt....
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Eddie had his tacking stitch removed this morning and his ulcer has healed! I was on pins outside, waiting for the news. I just wish I could have seen his little face when he realised that he could see through his eye again!
    He has a little opacity due to scarring from the debridement, but Clive says this will soon clear. His third eyelid is a bit inflamed, which is to be expected, but unless I am worried, he will not need any more appointments. (Me, worried? Ha!). We just carry on with the drops for a few more days. Extra bonus, his bad back was improved yesterday and was much, much better today.
    You can't miss the fact that he is happy, he had his first off-lead run for ten days, on the sports fields this afternoon, and is right back to being his usual cheeky self.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Eddie had his tacking stitch removed this morning and his ulcer has healed! I was on pins outside, waiting for the news. I just wish I could have seen his little face when he realised that he could see through his eye again!
    He has a little opacity due to scarring from the debridement, but Clive says this will soon clear. His third eyelid is a bit inflamed, which is to be expected, but unless I am worried, he will not need any more appointments. (Me, worried? Ha!). We just carry on with the drops for a few more days. Extra bonus, his bad back was improved yesterday and was much, much better today.
    You can't miss the fact that he is happy, he had his first off-lead run for ten days, on the sports fields this afternoon, and is right back to being his usual cheeky self.
  17. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    CaroleC likes this.
    Great news.....
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Fantastic news! Now I think is time for
    [​IMG]
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you. The Beags will be back in their own bedroom tonight. Ten days of between four and a half to five hours in bed has been a bit of a trial for both of us. I'm going to enjoy being back to a luxurious 8 hours tonight!
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Eight hours sleep? You mean eight straight hours? Says me jealously, having to find my way to the loo every couple of hours! Seriously though, it must have been very difficult for both you and Chas having to keep watching Eddie - I well remember how it was with Tweed, and at our age we really do need our sleep.

I feed sad for people not being able to be with their dogs when they are taken in to be examined/treated. I know Ram is only letting one person into the clinic at a time but even before the current situation I have never known him not let the owner be with their pet during examinations etc. It must be quite traumatic for the dog, especially if they do not like/are frightened of being examined. He would not let me stay with my girls when they were spayed but he did let me go in and wait with them while they were intubated and I did stay while Lexi had both her dental surgeries - my job being to keep a watch on the monitor!

He also got me to hold one [I honestly cannot remember whether it was Lexi or Pereg, or even why] when she had to be Xrayed [with a lead apron over me], same when anal glands needed checking/emptying and, of course every time when Pereg had blood drawn.

Tikki was so thrilled when she saw Ram's car pull up outside last week [he parks half way on the pavement] and started squealing with delight even before he got out of it. He was wearing a face shield but no mask, not that she would have cared because it was her beloved Ram! [Do not tell anyone but I still got my hug from him before he left.]
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I do miss being able to chat over the examination table. So many little points could be missed. I'm sure the vets will also be glad when we can be more relaxed.
    This virus is nibbling away at our freedoms and doesn't show any sign of giving in gracefully.