What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It's been lovely and hot the last few days, my ice-plant is in full bloom

IMG_20200524_114034_resized_20200524_125925956.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Gorgeous - I am extremely envious of people who have proper gardens with lovely flowers, unlike my stone mixed dried earth [mud when it is raining] yards with weeds and grasses that shoot up chest high overnight.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Wet,windy and nippy .
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Last weeks heat was torture for me, but we have had ideal dog walking weather over the last couple of days. Mainly bright and dry - with just the odd light shower. I took Merry over the disused golf course yesterday, (it has been for sale for years), and the Council have mown wide green pathways into it - like racehorse gallops. Swifts were out in force doing their close-flying and veering away game, and sweeping down over Merry's head. Today was the park, and so many baby birds about, conditions this year must have really suited them. A tiny fluffball wren was sitting in the middle of our path through the wooded area. Its mother was calling, but the the little wide-mouthed dot was not fully fledged, and was even reluctant to hop out of our way. I hope it will be OK.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Don't see many wrens nowadays,though i have one who visits most days.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We have one(?) that visits too. They spend more time running around the shrubs and weeds than flying, but I do fear the worst for that tiny one.

Intermittent heavy rain today - I may manage a quick dash with Merry, but Ed will be staying with his Dad.
  8. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Tis still very hot here, I have birds nesting in one of my barns at the mo. I think they are Redstarts, weirdly enough their home is in an old Swallows nest attached to a beam. They have re commissioned it. Didnt know they did that.
    I love Wrens they are so special, just the most cutest little things... always have one or two scurrying about in the garden, having said that I haven't seen any evidence of a family nesting this year... Guess you cant have it all ways...
    In one of my cellars we have loads of bats.. Not very keen on them since they apparently have lots of germs and diseases and they poo all over the floor ... The French call them chauve souris.... translates as bald mouse.... yup I dont like mice either.....
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    On the very few occasions I have gone outside my front door the heat has hit me. People ask why I do not sit outside but I just cannot cope with the heat, plus there is no shade and even though I am not fair-skinned I would burn. So I prefer to stay in with the a/c on!

@Andrew Sheldon - if you do not like mice Andrew you would hate rats! I had not seen any trace of either since the last time the rat man came until a couple of weeks ago when I got up to find a couple of things knocked off a shelf in the kitchen, so promptly called him.

Do you have lizards? There are always quite a few around in the summer and at the moment there is one half way up the ramp looking like it is doing its morning yoga exercises. I do not mind them outside but was none too happy about the one that somehow made its way right through my bungalow and into the ensuite - unable to get out as the screen is fixed. Ram rescued it and released it outside when he took Tikki into the ensuite to weigh her for her Parkworm shot.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sunny spells but still very windy.
    I don’t have lizards but quite a few newts cute little things.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wet and windy here.
  12. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    We have lots and lots of little Lizards but very few larger ones. You always see the little ones basking in the sun on my stone steps.
    I always worry about Adders when I take Tootsy for a walk, not too sure how they would effect a dog of her size when bitten..? I have only ever seen 2 Adders and they were in my back garden donkeys years ago.. Having said that there are always creatures scurrying and slithering in the edges of our country lanes.....
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you have a pond in your garden Vee? Years ago friends of mine in England had a steep back garden which was "landscaped" into terraces. On one levels they had a pond - and they had frogs which, during the mating season used to keep them awake all night. Apparently the frogs used to get so energetic that quite a few of them drowned in the process.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    No I don’t have a pond but next door has, hence I was surprised to see them, I have a rockery that they hide in and come out at night, I only discovered them while on ‘slug patrol’.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Andrew Sheldon Adders do give a nasty bite, I think you would need a vet. There have been a couple of very sad Beagles with very fat faces on my Beagle Facebook group lately.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Really miserable here ,dull, wet ,foggy & cold.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hot. Well, it is summer! I had to get something from my bedroom earlier and nearly roasted going through to it as I usually do not put the a/c on in the back-facing rooms until mid-afternoon, or unless I will be spending any length of time in them, in which case I will put it on while I am in there.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    One minute it's glorious warm sunshine, the next it's torrential rain. No joking, the drops are teaspoonful sized!
  19. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    CaroleC likes this.
    You lucky folks with rain..... Too hot here... tomorrow says its gonna be nearly 40 degrees c... NOT GOOD......
    Its kind of weird, when its hot and sunny you feel like its all a bit too much but as soon as it goes in you feel a bit glum.... no pleasing I guess...
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You know it is hot when you set the a/c to 30°C and it throws out nice cool air...
  21. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Quote THE MET OFFICE announced today is the third hottest UK day on record
    Hottest day my foot, foggy, overcast and drizzle here.