Portuguese Water Dog Puppy Training Training

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Gatsby Gray, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Gatsby Gray

Gatsby Gray New Member

Name:
    Gatsby Gray

Portuguese Water Dog Puppy Training

Hello, I will be bringing home my new PWD puppy next week. Based on my research I understand this breed are incredibly intelligent and fast-learning. I also understand that this can be a positive as well as a negative as they learn to pick up bad habits just as quickly as good habits. I plan to crate train the puppy. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips that can help with my new journey with my little boy :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    :)Hi,
    Had not heard of this breed so after reading this I went and found some information.

I had no idea there were working dogs that could herd fish among other tasks.

I’d like to see that !
  4. Gatsby Gray

Gatsby Gray New Member

Name:
    Gatsby Gray
    Hello :), yes, they have a very interesting history. I had only heard about them a couple of months ago so I don't think they are a popular breed in Australia. However, they are extremely popular in the USA after the Obama family adopted two of them! They are apparently fantastic swimmers due to their webbed feet so I will have to take him on many beach adventures!
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I’d
    also be interested to know if they take to water naturally and quickly.

I’ve heard some retrievers do .
  6. Gatsby Gray

Gatsby Gray New Member

Name:
    Gatsby Gray
    I have started him off with a baby pool in the backyard and he absolutely loves it. He is constantly jumping in and out with his toys. I will have to introduce him to the big waters very soon.
  7. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sounds like a natural.

my pup learned to swim a week or two ago ,
    8 1/2 months and he’d mostly been only going out as far as he could touch the bottom to stay safe.
    Took a smaller swimming hole for him to get the confidence to launch.

he also has a small kids clamshell pool, he jumps in .
  8. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    A little tip, use a harness and long line if they are swimming in the sea. I don't know what your waters are like there, but here we have some very unexpected undercurrents that can easily sweep them out to sea