Help! My Pom is scared of everything! Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Taylor105, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Taylor105

Taylor105 New Member

Name:
    Taylor Allen John Anstrom

Help! My Pom is scared of everything!

Hi. My name is Taylor Anstrom and I have a five-year-old dog. He is a full-blooded Pomeranian. I am disabled so not rich. Jaxon has behavior issues with several problems. I am currently trying to wean him from Prozac because he seems to be getting over the top fearful of everything. I have had him since he was weaned and he has always been loved and never abused. The problem is I waited two years for an apartment with the housing authority. We finally got it after being on the waiting list for 2 years. We have lived here since June of this year. Jax started showing terror every time he hears any sort of noise from the upstairs neighbors. It could be such a tiny noise. He runs to the front door and maniacally scratches trying to get out. I thought that over time he would get used to the noises and adjust but it's getting worse.

My dog used to adore me. Now he spends all of his time either laying at the front door or in the kitchen. It makes me sad because before we got this apartment we were renting a room from a mean lady and we were not allowed the use of any of the rest of the house. He adjusted fine to being trapped in a room with me 24/7 and was my lifeline for the 2 years that I waited for my apartment to come through. Now we finally have a place to call our own and he wants nothing to do with it. His tail is always down.

He is currently being weaned from Prozac because he was taking it for resource guarding aggression. He has mental health issues. The Prozac seemed to be adding to his terror so the doctor suggested to wean him off the Prozac and give him hemp dog supplements for natural calming. He used to be glued to my side, my best buddy, but since we moved here he wants nothing to do with me and he is always scared. I don't understand the terror of such small sounds. Scooting a chair back from upstairs sends him to the door scratching to escape.

I know this is not going to be a quick fix but we need some professional help. I just want my dog to be happy here. As it stands he spends a few nights a week with my friend that adopted him with me all those years ago. She lives with her mom in a quiet mobile home so he loves it there. No unknown noises to contend with. I don't know what to do to help him. I have tried treats but he is too scared to eat. I've tried ignoring the sounds to show him there is nothing to fear. Nothing works. When I pick him up and bring him back into the living room to hold and comfort him he jumps down and heads straight back to the door. I need help. If you can't help me can you please recommend someone for me to contact? Thanks for your time, Taylor Anstrom

p.s. I live in St. Petersburg, FL. 33709 zip code

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Taylor105

Taylor105 New Member

Name:
    Taylor Allen John Anstrom
    Is there anyone out there???? I'm desperate.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I would advise you get in contact with a good behaviorist who can see the problem first hand.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    What a horrible situation for you, I don’t think I can offer any kind of help
    What I wondered though, is your apartment quiet, what I mean by that is if it’s really quiet he will hear all kinds of noises, more than we can.
    Could you play music or have a radio on for background noise ?