JR puppy questions Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Juco, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Juco

Juco New Member

Name:
    stan smythe

JR puppy questions

Just making sure this is normal as the planned puppy class due 7th October is likely to be cancelled re Covid.
    Puppy is 9 weeks old and had him for one week, he cages ok at night and is already stting on command (most of the time) and toileting is outdoor maybe 70% of the time. I accept teething and puppy biting but every once in a while he goes full attack and those teeth are needle sharp. In this mode we have tried treats a sharp clap (noise) but he wont be distracted, if I use a tuggy toy the minute I stop its attack the ankle time again, this lasts for maybe 10 minutes.

My wife loves the pup and can handle the puppy stage but I want to make sure we get control sooner rather than later so any advice would be welcome.

Attached is 2 days worth of puppy play and that doesn't include the other arm or the ankles :)

DSCN7285.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    You should be able to see when he is about to 'have a go'. When you do, try standing very still, give him no eye contact and don't say a word. As soon as he calms, resume play, but repeat and repeat and repeat.

They can be little monsters at his age with teeth like razors. If it's too much/painful to do the above, detach him from where ever he is clinging on and walk out of the room for 30 seconds or so. When you open the door to come back in, if he goes straight in for the 'kill', close the door again and keep repeating until he lets you calmly back into the room.

A nightmare age, but it does calm down as they grow and usually stops altogether after teething
  4. Juco

Juco New Member

Name:
    stan smythe
    Thanks for your reply, we should be able to cope I just wanted to make sure we keep things on track until (if) the puppy class can begin.
    Our previous dog was a Border Collie, again challenging but in different ways and not quite as aggressive at this young age.
  5. Jlhoke

Jlhoke New Member

Name:
    Jami
    We struggled with our 2nd Jack, as he’s the complete opposite of my 1st. We ended up sending him to a train and board program. The trainer stated he was one of the most “challenging” pups he had. We have little kids this time around so nipping at them isn’t acceptable. The trainer recommended a shock collar, which has helped significantly. We mainly just use the beeping noise but often times, if he isn’t listening now, all we have to do is show the remote and he immediately pays attention. He’s also an aggressive chewer, so we try to buy him things he can chew on all the time. Good luck! They’re awesome pups once you get past the puppy stage!
  6. Juco

Juco New Member

Name:
    stan smythe
    Thanks Jlhoke. Yes I think as a breed they are definitely stubborn, I dont want to use a `shock collar` but interesting what you say about showing the remote, my son has a Yorkie and when a pup and visiting I didn't want it in my study due to electric cables for PC etc so I would water spray him if he entered, within 2 days he would just stand at the door, even now 3 years later he wont come in and if I just lift the water spray he is off like a rocket. I tried with the JR but then he just came at me even more :) so gave that one a miss.
    I do have a spare door alarm thingy which emits a high pitch sound so may try that.
  7. Jlhoke

Jlhoke New Member

Name:
    Jami
    My first one hated being sprayed it’s water and all we would have to do is ask if he wanted to be sprayed and he immediately stopped. We tried that with this one but he seems to love water, and enjoyed being sprayed, so no luck! Good luck!