Jack Russells, cats, and prey drive Behaviour

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by aeb1988, Aug 11, 2020.

1. aeb1988

aeb1988 New Member

Name:
    Ashley

Jack Russells, cats, and prey drive

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are having a trial adoption with an 8 month old jack Russell mix (not sure with what. He’s small 11lbs and thinner than most JRTs). We’ve had him for a week and he is a well behaved, mellow dude (we are probably still in the honeymoon phase, he’s way too good for a puppy )

We are really happy with him but have some concerns about having him with our cat based on our online research. Currently he is about 1 lb smaller than our cat and mostly they avoid one another. However, our cat is quite active and curious and has gotten in to the puppy’s face twice, causing him to bare his teeth and growl.

While this behavior is manageable (we keep a close eye on them, keep a spray bottle handy, and don’t allow them to be alone together) I am concerned about if the puppy starts to
    developA a high prey drive. I read that some jack russells don’t develop a Prey drive until 2 or 3 years old. On walks the puppy hasn’t Noticed any of our neighborhood cats but he does desperately want to go after squirrels.

Before we officially adopt this sweet guy, anyone have any experience with Jack Russell prey drive development or with having them with cats? We want to make sure our cat is safe and that the puppy has the best home for him.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I don’t have a jack russell, however I have been around others peoples jack Russell’s over the years.

I have said For years they are the toughest dog on the planet pound for pound.

Although sometimes they can bite off more than they can chew , as they think they are the toughest dogs too , which of course their size is an equalizer , so they get a reality check. Sometimes need to be careful.

very tough little dogs . Great mates . They are a real dog .

I have seen a jack russell pup that used to fight with his cat as though they were siblings .
    They both seemed to enjoy it .

Although even though he was a tiny pup he was a bit of an energetic handful for the kitten friend.

Being 8 months old yours is a bit older and could give the cat real trouble if they don’t sort it out and get along.
    that’s where you will need some control and command in the introduction .

As for prey drive , I know people who use them for rat control around a farm.

Also use them for snakes on huge cattle stations in the workers camp up north.

because they get a lot of snakes there , and the dogs kill them.

I hear every now and then they get killed by the snakes too.

I have a friend who has one also that is extremely smart.

I think with the right owners that it can be kept in balance no problems.
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I just realized I could click on the photo.

that is a very handsome little fella I must say
  5. Juco

Juco New Member

Name:
    stan smythe
    Although not like for like we previously had a border collie and then acquired sons cat, for the 1st week the house wasn't big enough to contain their hatred for each other was like WW3, 2 weeks later they were cuddled up sleeping in the same bed.

Cat2 _0054.jpg