GSP : Play and Toys Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by John Single, Nov 5, 2020.

1. John Single

John Single New Member

Name:
    John

GSP : Play and Toys

In the past I had a Boxer for many years, high energy but nothing like the GSP.

Just wondering if anyone has any specific toys they have found to be good, or perhaps even a workout regimen.

I am considering some options, trying to be creative, to create intellectually stimulating situations in my yard. But also plan to take her hiking, and locate some wide space to run her. Before we get to hiking and space I plan to work with a trainer to ensure we have obedience well-covered.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HannahJo

HannahJo New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    John Single likes this.
    My GSP LOVES rope toys. I get him the large knotted, heavier duty ones so they last a little longer. We will play tug-of-war or he enjoys playing by himself. He will whip and throw and drag that rope toy all around the yard. I have also tied the rope toy on a low hanging tree branch and let him tug-of-war with the tree. :p
    Also had good luck with the kong toys- they are also pretty heavy duty and can take a beating. These are nice for fetch!
    He has a tendency to tear apart any toys that are plush or too fragile so we stay away from anything like that.
  4. CharlesColeman55

CharlesColeman55 New Member

Name:
    Chuck
    John Single likes this.
    Just want to chime in with the running ... once a day for a good run if possible. We have two GSP's, and one wanders too much, so he gets an electric collar. That takes some training but is worth it. But we were in the woods on a long hike recently, and they stayed within sight and always returned, but zipping around like mad for like 2 hours.
  5. HannahJo

HannahJo New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    John Single likes this.
    I have found that my guy is happy to be involved with just about anything we do- so it's easy to take him along with us and let him run to his heart's desire. When he's not hunting during the fall/winter we go bike riding, swimming, hiking, sporting events, trail rides with the horses, you name it and he's tagging along. I swear this breed is the equivalent of the energizer bunny- never runs out of spark.
  6. Brianborus

Brianborus New Member

Name:
    Brian
    They are full of energy, big teasers but are most loving to have. The breed needs lots of space. As mentioned above, ropes with huge knots are good for tugging. Mine had a leather ball which ended up in shreads. Most enjoyable is a big Kong wobbler filled with pieces of yummies for him to juggle out. Off lease runs are advisable and they will jog nicely with your pace. Good luck with the dog.