Any owners feed their GSD...RAW Diet?? Diet

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Gus Heyliger, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Gus Heyliger

Gus Heyliger New Member

Name:
    Gus

Any owners feed their GSD...RAW Diet??

As the title says...trying to get a idea of owners of GSD feeding some sort of RAW diet to their dogs and how their GSD taking to the diet???

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hi Gus - I didn't see your question on your other thread until just now, so am responding on this this one. I have never owned a GSD so I don't know whether they would require a specific type of raw. I started raw feeding when I had the girl in my avatar, who was a mutt of unknown origin and was ~2½ years old and weighed about 17kg when I changed her from kibble to raw.

My current dog, a Dachshund/Minpin cross, is just over 5½ years old, weighs ~7.5kg and I put her on raw as soon as she was weaned off her bottle. Same food as I had fed my previous girl, just smaller amounts, obviously.

The following thread was posted by @Tarimoor on Breedia's sister site and is what first taught me about raw feeding, but I have tweaked it to what I am able to get and to what seemed suited my own dogs. It might be of help to you.

https://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=2108670#post2108670
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
  5. Gus Heyliger

Gus Heyliger New Member

Name:
    Gus
    Thank you
  6. Gus Heyliger

Gus Heyliger New Member

Name:
    Gus
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    My brother used to feed his Akita’s the BARF diet. He spent a lot of time prepping and preparing their food. He had an extra stand up freezer that was just for their food. Those dogs might have eaten better than his kids. He eventually moved away from it, I think it was a time thing, lots of work, but still incorporated pieces of it into their kibble diet periodically
  8. Gus Heyliger

Gus Heyliger New Member

Name:
    Gus
    Thank you for response
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I know a few people that alternate Raw/ complete which I think is a good idea, especially if one takes their dogs on holiday or if they go boarding, and raw isn’t easily available.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is why I always have some dehydrated raw food [either air-dried or freeze-dried] to give to Tikva in an emergency in place of her evening meat and vegetables meal, but I think it would be rather expensive for a large dog though.
  11. Stephen Scott Gurley

Stephen Scott Gurley New Member

Name:
    Stephen Gurley
    Raw diet?
  12. Stephen Scott Gurley

Stephen Scott Gurley New Member

Name:
    Stephen Gurley
    I own a german shepherd. I'm a first time dog owner. What do y'all mean by raw meat diet?
  13. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Don’t know what that means specifically , sounds like a only raw meat diet
    Not one of those vego dog diets (don’t know how or if that would work ).

I don’t have a German Shepard , I couldn’t imagine a dog not eating raw meat , although I feed my dogs working dog dry food also , they eat chicken necks and bits and pieces from the butchers like heart , lamb dog bones , beef bones , even pork , once a half pigs head each .
    Plus they get human food , my pup likes sweet potato boiled at the moment so I have to share , plus whatever else , they are my mates and we get on well .

when animals go wild and eat meat they get bigger in favorable conditions (dependant on environment of course ) , like feral cats here get huge when they live in the wild .

I always thought humans brains developed when they started eating meat in our history too .

wolves in North America and Russia get huge .

I think varied diet is a good idea , whole ness .
  14. AfK

AfK New Member

Name:
    ALICE
    Yes mine has been raw fed from 8 weeks. he is now 14 months