Hello! New here, would like your opinion General Chat

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Dave1980, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Dave1980

Dave1980 New Member

Name:
    Dave1980
    Malka likes this.

Hello! New here, would like your opinion

Hi all, glad to be here.
    I got a 2 months old puppy almost 3 months ago. So now she is almost 5 months old.
    Very active dog, very intelligent, as a matter of fact she is the quickest learner I've ever had.
    I got her from someone I don't know, which is not a breeder as far as I can tell. All physical characteristics is of a Mal, but I would like to get your opinion on it.
    (it matters nothing to me, I love her already pure bread or not) IMG_20210419_003409_461.jpg 20210412_121541.jpg TAL02147.JPG 20210408_083245.jpg IMG_20210419_003409_461.jpg 20210412_121541.jpg TAL02147.JPG 20210408_083245.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Dave - welcome to Breedia :039:

I really could not say whether your lovely girl is a pure Malinois as I am not an expert, but I think that maybe she could have some GSD in her? You could always have a DNA test done if you really did want to know. But she is gorgeous, pure-bred or not!
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Carol S. and Malka like this.
    What a lovely dog. Looks all Mal to me, but again, breed identification is not my strong point
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    My guess would be GSD x Malinois too.
    She is very attractive and could make an excellent worker if you chose to go in that direction.
  6. Dave1980

Dave1980 New Member

Name:
    Dave1980
    Malka likes this.
    Thanks all for your insights, how knows.. She seem short coated unlike a gsd but maybe, it's possible.. As I said she fited so nicely in our home so it really doesn't make any difference to me. Would be nice to know, but no real need for a DNA test as she will not be in any show and such.
    she is so lovely I tell you..
    I must admit although I've had dogs basically most of my life, this one I am taking really seriously cause you can just see the potential, I'm trying to learn quickly so I won't make serious mistakes in her first year. I think that many can share this particular situation with bringing home a Mal for the first time.. It seems that she can so so much more then what I know to teach :)
    She already knows basic SIT, DOWN JUMP, GIVE HAND, OUT(toy) (impressive!!). I really need to take some courses and learn how to do more..

Thanks again, what a lovely forum. (it has to be, dog lovers are better then the rest lol)

IMG_20210421_130839.jpg 20210416_144341_capture.jpg
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Slightly off topic, but the baby car seat and the flags look familiar.
  8. Dave1980

Dave1980 New Member

Name:
    Dave1980
    Malka likes this.
    Hayush Malka:razz:
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Dave1980 likes this.
    It was the flags - then I looked at the name on the car seat! Baruch Haba!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Dave1980 likes this.
    OK, explanation for everyone, with apologies for going off topic. The car seat is an Agadoo - which is an Israeli make. And the Israeli flags on the lampposts were no doubt put up for our Independence Day, which was last Thursday. Just like the flags I am looking through my doorway now, on the lamppost across the road.

@Dave1980 greeted me with the word "Hayush" and my response "Baruch Haba" just means Welcome.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Dave, are you teaching your pup [what is her name, by the way?] in English or Ivrit - or in both languages?
  12. Dave1980

Dave1980 New Member

Name:
    Dave1980
    Malka likes this.
    Her name is Jessica :049:
    Unfortunately started HEB, then 3 weeks ago started mixing France or German commands with what she already knows.
    I find that a certain tone or cut of speech makes a difference in her speed of compliance. I may as well be imagining all that but regardless I would like her to complie only to me, so that can help I think..
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica is a lovely name for such a lovely girl! I can understand you only wanting her to comply with you, but do you not think that might cause problems if someone else had to look after her? I have always used both English and Ivrit for that reason. Pereg, my previous girl [the one in my avatar] used to go to a Pension for a few hours maybe once a month so I could go into town or to a shopping centre, so it was necessary that she understood them there, although think I spoke to her mainly in English.

Tikva, my current little one understands both, and I tend to talk to her in either language without realising it or being aware of what language I am speaking. There are very few people on the Moshav where I live who speak English, so she has always been used to both languages, in any case. She has also been looked after by someone [not on the Moshav] when I have been in hospital, and who will adopt her if necessary, so it is important for her to understand Ivrit. I do not think she is aware of any differences in the actual words though.

I probably speak to her far more in Ivrit now though as really the only time I use English is on the computer - and even then I tend to forget the English words for some things - I have been here since 1985 so I suppose it is understandable when I am stuck for a word in English and the only one that comes up is in the "wrong" language!
  14. Dave1980

Dave1980 New Member

Name:
    Dave1980
    Malka likes this.
    I wish I'd live in a moshav... It was a lovely read :049:
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I love this little agricultural Moshav - Ashqelon is our nearest town but it is like we are in the middle of nowhere, it is so quiet and peaceful. It is a Mizrachi religious Moshav - no vehicles allowed on Shabbat or Chagim, but not ultra-Orthodox like Bnei Brak. I do use my computer on Shabbat because I am housebound and it is my only contact with the outside world, but it is not something that I broadcast to everyone.

I am not only the only outsider but also the only Ashkenazi - and having lived on the Moshav for nearly 26 years now I am looked on as a part of the family. Just about everyone here is related - either by blood or by marriage - and I have never been made to feel any different.

It is a wonderful feeling.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    @Malka you have such a wonderful way of describing your home. It sounds truly lovely.

@Dave1980 years ago I worked at a boarding kennel. We would get one dog who was protection trained in portuguese and only the owner knew the command words. It made it very stressful on us workers, but more importantly on the dog. He was always in protection mode at the kennel and nothing we could do could change that. He came every year for one or two weeks and I always felt so sorry for him because he couldn't relax.

Had he had an illness or injury during his stay, we would not have been able to help him.

I know having a dog that listens to only you sounds good, but consider the practicalities. Even something as unexpected as you becoming ill or having to travel can have severe consequences for the dog.