How is everyone in the current situation? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sirens and boom booms again and Tikki is now hiding between my chair and the bookshelves.

Buggrit.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Think we're in for another nasty.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I’m really sorry to hear this. Poor Tikki scared of the loud noise and probably sensing your emotions too
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She has never bothered before Marc. Not the booms, not the sirens, nothing. Little Lexi was, and she used to hide beside my chair as well - she did not like any loud bangs - even a car backfiring used to send her scurrying for shelter. Pereg was not really bothered and Tikki has usually been OK.

It has been going on all day but the news seems to ignore the South - all they are on about is the fact that sirens were going off in J-m.

I am not usually that bothered - just swear at the sirens, but I have not been well lately and am still not feeling that good. And I think it is going to get bad again.
  6. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    I read the news earlier Juli. Terrifying that this is all starting up again. Stay safe my friend xx
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is very bad. Over 300 rockets fired at Southern Israel since yesterday and homes in town have been hit and people injured. How can I keep safe? My little bungalow will just collapse if anything lands even anywhere near it. I have no shelter, no safe place, so what can I do? Sat here and watched some men run out from the macolet into the little prefabricated bomb shelter next to it when the sirens were wailing.

Tikva, who has never bothered before was unhappy all day yesterday, hiding between my chair and the bookshelves. This morning she went out for a pee but would not stay out. Then she went out and had just started to crouch to poo, the sirens screamed and she rushed in. I have always kept a puppy pad in the corner of the room but she has only ever used it if the door has been closed and I am in the shower or somewhere and cannot let her out, and she has used it maybe once or twice a year, if that. This morning she just made it in time.

Schools are closed until I do not know when. Nobody is out unless they have to be. It is not looking good.
  8. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    I’d say your safer there anyway where you are juli .
    Less chance of getting hit by one of those rockets than of catching covid scurrying in a shelter with lots of people .
    Im optimistic for you although I understand I’m not in your shoes either .
    you’ll stay safe and tikva, I’m sure tikva can pick up on your feelings too so a cuddle will do you both good .
  9. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Juli, my thoughts and prayers are with you and our little Tikki. So very worrying what's happening so close to your home. Keep Tikki close and you'll face it together as you always do and come out the other side too. xxxx
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I second those thoughts.

May peace come quickly to your part of the world.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Queensland blue - there is virtually no Covid in Israel now and none within a very large radius of my home. I could not get to a shelter even if I wanted to because I am housebound and stuck in a wheelchair. I also live on a very small Moshav with very few neighbours.

There is EVERY chance of getting hit by a rocket. Bottles on the side of the handbasin in my ensuite have fallen off and been smashed on the floor from something landing close earlier today.

Over 80 people have been injured in my nearest town, just a few km away, some seriously, and two women have been killed.

These pictures were taken today, Tuesday 11 May. Just a couple of km from my little, very old and very unsafe bungalow.

ASHKELON 11 MAY 1.png
    ASHKELON 11 MAY 3.jpg

ASHKELON 11 MAY.jpg
    and a disabled woman died in this apartment

ASHKELON 11 MAY 11.jpg

So no, I am very much afraid that I am NOT "safer here than anywhere". Because you do not know where I live and you do not have any idea what it is like for me being here. And you can keep your optimism to yourself because it is the LAST thing I need to hear at the moment.

I WILL NOT BE MENTIONING THIS SITUATION AGAIN.
  12. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    well I can see now your situation and understand what your saying now .

my sentiments were for wishes of you staying safe , I see they were not taken that way .
    So I’ll keep them to myself also.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It must be a very frightening situation Juli. I'm sure that we will all be keeping yourself and Tikva in our thoughts while this current spell of violence continues.
    Stay safe my friend.
  14. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Very much so. Our thoughts are always with you Juli. xx
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Malka, if you can use us as an outlet for your isolation and fear, please don't stop. I think all of us are here for you.

I sense that Queensland didn't understand all the factors that are involved with your situation. Being from different countries and continents, our education of each other's general environment (health, politics, culture, etc) can be limited. Then add that many of our personal condtions (health, family support, finances, etc) are unknown to one another, it is easy to say something in concern or well meaning and have it fall flat for the other person. I hope that doesn't stop us from sharing. And I hope all that makes sense to everyone.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As I have just said to Chris, I am scared sh!tless. The situation is disastrous, I have had very little sleep since this started due to almost non-stop sirens and explosions, but will not talk about it again as my previous comments were apparently considered to be exaggerated.

However I was not exaggerating and the area where I live is not a very good place to be.

I should not have mentioned anything in the first place and to be honest I do not care whether I am believed. I have posted a thread for Tikva's birthday, and for me now she is the only thing that matters.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Getting back to the original topic, ie the subject of the virus, a problem has now arisen. Thankfully there are very few new cases reported each day now, and the majority of the population are fully vaccinated. Masks are no longer required to be worn outside although I believe that they still have to be worn in stores and at gatherings, which still have some restrictions regarding the number of people permitted to attend.

But I cannot have the vaccination therefore I still cannot go out. It does not bother me any more, not after all this time, and of course deliveries have never been affected, with the exception of a parcel held up at the DHL facility at the airport during the war.

The delivery driver who brought my water containers was still wearing a mask, but my grocery delivery guy is not, neither are the DHL couriers, and I get fairly regular deliveries from iHerb via DHL.

It worries me because even though there are so few new cases now, the virus has not gone away and people can still catch it even if they are fully vaccinated. They may be asymptomatic and not know they have been infected but an asymptomatic infected person can unknowingly pass it on.

It has put me in a rather difficult position because I do not want to get all officious and insist that nobody comes near my home unless they are wearing a mask. I still keep a box of masks to hand and put one on as soon as I see someone coming down the ramp, but if they come down the steps and the path I don't see them until they are literally outside my door. I feel very much at risk and would be much happier if they wore a mask when coming here, but do not feel comfortable having to go above people's heads to request that drivers/couriers put one on before delivering something.

Am I being too fanatical about this?
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes likes this.
    No you are not being too fanatical. You have every right to be concerned. Perhaps you could make, or have someone make, a sign requesting everyone making a delivery to you to please wear a mask as you are unable to be vaccinated. It’s your home, you have every right to set the rules.

It is unfortunate that you may have to do this, but we’ve entered a very different phase on our planet, and as much as we’d all like everything to go back to the way it used be, I don’t know if it will completely, and maybe it shouldn’t.

I know that here, in the US, we had a small fraction of the usual cases of the flu, due to mask wearing and social distancing.

I’ve been to the landfill the past few days, and I have to say that I will never go there again without a mask, required or not. It’s a dusty and sometimes smelly place, the mask was great.

You mean to tell me this thread isn’t about my concussion and (slow) recovery? It does say how is everyone in the current situation...
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Marc - I am so sorry for not asking how you are. Mea culpa. I have been so tied up in getting back to normality and still not sleeping very well, that I seem to have blanked out everything outside of my own thoughts. Very selfish of me, so please forgive me. Half the time I seem to be sitting here just staring out of the doorway, almost in a daze. Either that or I read an article and then do not have the slightest idea about what I have just read, which is quite worrying at times. It is such a long time since I went any further than to my wheelie bin, which is against the front of the bungalow, that life just seems to exist only as far as that and no further. Everything I see past it is in a different world.

There are also major problems with next door's guard dog getting loose a lot of the time, going for Tikva if she is outside - and went for me the other day when I went outside to try and get Tikki in. The Local Authority have said that they have been warned about the dog being totally out of control, chasing cars and bikes, and that they will be fined if the dog gets loose again - two days later Nala is out chasing quadbikes.

So, how are you doing? Are you still getting headaches? And what about the dismantling job, do you still have a lot to do? Please let us know how you are - I promise I will keep checking Breedia again now.
  20. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Oh Juli, I so feel for you.

Both me and OH can be fairly certain of not surviving the virus if we get it, but at least we can disinfect tables/chairs etc and sit outside if we go to a cafe. Sanitizer is my friend and so is a mask. However, we've had both vaccinations. You must feel terribly vulnerable with not being able to have it. Get a sign made up and put on your door. Please wear mask as clinically vulnerable xxxx
  21. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I agree to post a sign at the door. With grocery deliveries and online orders, you can let them know when you place the order that delivery personnel need to wear masks because of your susceptibility.