Questions about Irish Setters.... Questions

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by parapig23, May 28, 2021.

1. parapig23

parapig23 New Member

Name:
    parapig23

Questions about Irish Setters....

So I might get an Irish setter soon but I had some questions about the breed first.....

1. Are they good with children? (my youngest is 8 my oldest is 17)
    2. Do they have super high energy levels?
    3. Are easy to train or are they very stubborn?
    4. Are they difficult to groom?
    5. Are they hunting dogs? (I have 3 guinea pigs who he would never meet but if he does smell them I don't want him to go crazy barking and trying to get through the door to them.)

Sorry for so many questions! I have had dogs before but only labs so I'm pretty new to this. Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    1. Yes, they are happy souls.
    2. They are very active, especially in their younger years.
    3. That would depend on your training expertise. There are very few Setters which compete in obedience competitions.
    4. The coat is easy to care for. Comb through regularly to prevent any knots. Older desexed Irish Setters can develop a soft fluffy top coat which looks better if it is stripped out.
    5. In the field, a Setter should 'point' on game. This does not mean that he would threaten the pet animals that he lives with. Gentle introductions from the start is what I would be aiming for.
    Be careful to buy your puppy from a responsible breeder who carries out all the recommended health tests for the breed. Ask if you can visit, ask lots of questions and be prepared for them to question you too. Don't be afraid to ask to see the health certificates - (or note the pedigree names and check them on the Kennel Club website).
  4. parapig23

parapig23 New Member

Name:
    parapig23
    Ok thank you very much!