Does my new rescue look like a cairn terrier? Rescue

Discussion in 'Cairn Terrier' started by Heidi Matt, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Heidi Matt

Heidi Matt New Member

Name:
    Heidi

Does my new rescue look like a cairn terrier?

daisy sleeping (2).jpg Hi all! I recued an 8-week-old puppy two weeks ago. I have photos of her mom and dad. I'd like to get a general idea of what mix she is so I can plan to train her accordingly. I've raised several dogs from the time they were puppies, but have never had a terrier.

The foster at the rescue think her parents were terrier/poodle mixes. The parents were found together as strays and mama was already pregnant. She had both of the parents, but the father had been moved to another foster parent. I have photos of all three and the sister puppy.

I know it's hard to tell at this age. Just thought I'd give it a shot! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Some things about mixed breeds:

1. Outside of "designer dogs", most mixes have at least three breeds in them. Often more.

2. Not every breed in the mix will present itself physically. So while the dog may not look at all like a poodle, he may have poodle in his makeup. Same for temperament and behavior. The smaller the amount of a breed, the less likely you'll "see" it in the dog.

3. When breeds mix, they do weird things. The physical traits from each breed may combine to create something different. A large dog may have small dog dna - he just got his size from a large breed in the mix, or visa versa. A dog may get her body shape from a lab and her legs from a bassett. Or a dog may get her ears from a beagle and her muzzle shape from a pug and her tail from an akita.

With all that, the most accurate way of determining the breeds is to do a dna test. Embark and Wisdom Panel are good, and the best choices for dogs born outside of North America.

For dogs born in North America, a less expensive test option is dnamydog. It doesn't test for breeds that are rare in North America and they don't do health testing, so the cost is lower.

With all that, she could easily be a poodle terrier - that's a common mix. As to what type of terrier, it is very difficult to narrow down by her appearance.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes and Malka like this.
    Daisy is definitely not a Cairn Terrier. I don't think the rescue foster is far off in her guess of Poodle/Terrier mix. You could either just accept that you have a sweet mixed breed puppy or, as @Toedtoes suggests, submit a dna sample to uncover greater detail.