Newborn colors General Chat

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by jkmc, Oct 5, 2022.

1. jkmc

jkmc New Member

Name:
    Jen

Newborn colors

My gsp just gave birth to 5 puppies 2 nights ago. 3 of them came out white and really light tan not liver. The other 2 are white with liver (dark east to tell) spots. Will the tan become liver? Both sire and dam are akc gsp’s.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Only a guess, as I have had litters in a few breeds but not GSP's.
    Several breeds are born not showing the colours that they will finish. Lemon and white and tan and white Beagles are born almost white, but you can usually tell how dark they will be after a couple of weeks. I have had Cavalier puppies that were born almost white, but didn't stay that way. On the other hand my Lowchen pups were born darker than their finished colour, and my black and whites developed brindling! You could find that the lighter coloured puppies will have smaller solid markings and larger areas of ticking. Pure white or white and tan would not be permitted.
    As I said this is only based on my own experience. You could check this with the Stud dog owner, your bitch's breeder, or the American Breed Club. Www.gspca.org.
  4. jkmc

jkmc New Member

Name:
    Jen
    Thank you for your help and information. I assume they’ll turn darker. The stud is white with lighter liver spots so I bet that’s what they’ll turn out to be. I was thinking about checking in with his breeder. Thanks again!
  5. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    @jkmc You've got me interested. How about a photo at 6 weeks?