The Recovery Position Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    The banks were great. Dogs got milkbone treats and kids got uninflated balloons (we had to inflate them ourselves as they wouldn't fit through the tube/opening otherwise).

Now banks have drive thru ATMs - just not the same.

Since Covid, a lot of businesses are doing "deliver to your car" services. Tru drive thrus are mostly fast food places (major chains and local) and Walgreens.

There was a drive thru dairy here for years and a drive thru cleaners.

And of course, there was A&W with their drive ups (drive and park, order thru a speaker, and have the waitress bring it out on a tray that hooked on your window). We still have one of those with the car stalls but they don't use them anymore.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I've never heard of A&W, but it sounds as though it was great.

I think McD's was the first to do it here. KFC have added to that, but they are the only drive throughs I can think of
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    A&W started here in California. They specialize in root beer and root beer floats. Here's some random photos of the drive ins:

upload_2022-10-18_11-35-18.png

upload_2022-10-18_11-35-31.png

upload_2022-10-18_11-36-39.png
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We have a McD with a drive-in about a mile and a half along the main road, opposite a council estate, and just before a busy roundabout. The queues are frustrating as they back-up out of the drive and into the road - especially at breakfast and lunch time, or after picking up kids from school. It drives me mad if I have an appointment or something time sensitive.
    In their wisdom the council have now allowed the development of a Costa coffee and a Tesco express next door, separated by a, 'do not enter unless your exit is clear' box! The powers that be must never have to use these roads themselves.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    We have a Tesco Express between two very tight bends. It causes absolute mayhem especially during the summer tourist season.

They've also put a pedestrian crossing between the bends. There's been quite a few accidents because of the two of them

Our Council are crazy
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    A lovely sunny Autumn day today. Although I had plenty to do trying to make sense of the jumble in Chas' garage, Tally was able to spend most of the day in the garden.
    She has a hidey hole in the hedge - originally created by Merry. This is the place she runs to when she has a reward that needs serious chewing, but it doubles as a back-scratcher and grooming brush.
    Her other spot is under her favourite tree, which faces the full morning sun. She does enjoy warming herself in the sun at every opportunity. She is such a good girl, and very little trouble.

IMG_20221014_131919_kindlephoto-2815175701.jpg received_831158381405879_kindlephoto-2988079668.jpg
    Must update my camera - a year in arrears!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Helidale likes this.
    Tally is just so perfect for you, Carole. She came to you at the right time, having long enough time for you both to bond so well before losing Chas. She looks like a very placid and happy girl, who is very contented with her life.

Big hugs for you both xx
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Over the last few weeks things are beginning to happen. Though I haven't been given a date for my hip op., and haven't had the compulsory Hip Education Session, I have had a pre-admission assessment, and was swab tested for the usual hospital infections. I have been issued with a shower gel to use the night before I am admitted. My clear tests remain in force until the end of January, but if I haven't been called by then, they will need to be repeated. As it is only four days before the Nursing Union announce what form its industrial action will take, I really hope my op. isn't affected.
    Another change is that Eddie's trainer is giving Tally a good walk twice a week. Tally is a friendly girl so she gets on well with the others. Another Beagle owner who used to walk two but is now down to one, asked if she could borrow Tally for walks! This lady walks for miles, and was also happy to look after Tal when I had my long hospital appointment. This arrangement is working well as they love having her, and the only downside is that Tally makes more fuss of them than she does of boring old Mum!
    I get lots of photos and videos of Tal on her travels and have stolen just a couple of them from her wet-weather afternoon yesterday, and being cuddled afterwards. I couldn't have picked nicer people.
    Screenshot_20221118-133326_kindlephoto-83712453.png Screenshot_20221118-133526_kindlephoto-83812061.png
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    All of this sounds very promising Carole. I do hope you’re able to have your hip taken care of sooner than later, but either way it seems you are moving much closer to that day. I know multiple people who’ve had this done, and hopefully it won’t be too long before you’re able to also take Tally on some walks.

What a lucky girl Tally is to have a couple walking friends, and how fortunate for you to have someone who can watch her for you when you need.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I particularly like the one of her looking like she was being dried off.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so pleased to hear that things seem to be progressing now Carole, and do hope that the proposed action/possible strike will not cause you any delays. And it is wonderful that now Tally has people to take her out - and Beagle friends to walk with.

She looks very contented in that photo - she has such a sweet face. Please give her a cuddle from me - and I am sending lots of cyber {{{hugs}}} to you! xx
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like a sooner rather than later with regard to the op Carole. I do hope so.

It will take a while for you to recover but, by the sound of things, Tally has a very good friend to step in and help out.

Good luck. Let us know when you are going in so we can all think of you and send positive vibes for a good outcome
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Great news. I'm sure you are having that "hurry up and wait" feeling - getting all this prep work done, but not having a scheduled date yet. I hope it's soon and let's you enjoy your holidays (or at least not be in the hospital for them).

Sounds like Tally has some good friends to help out. It's a bit bittersweet when they love someone else so much. On one hand, you're so glad that they are really happy being with that other person; but on the other hand, it's an ego deflation that you are not their everything.

Moose-dog forced me to accept it. He didn't just love our friends, he had to protect and worry about them. He'd stand between them and a stranger passing on a trail - but he never did that with me. He'd wait until the stranger passed and then turn to make sure his friend was still there holding his leash - never with me. He'd go with them hiking so he could keep watch over them - leaving me alone with Bat-dog. But, when it was time to call it a day and go inside our respective campers, he ALWAYS chose to go with me. I had to accept that his love for his friends didn't override his knowledge that I was his Mom.
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    Yes that is true. The consolation is that she knows it is me that puts down the food dish! I feel a bit rotton as it isn't just the walks that I can't manage. The pain in my thighs means that I can't bear her 15k on my knee for more than 20 minutes - and she likes to settle in for the evening. She looks so offended when I tell her she has to go down. She can't half jab her feet in, and doesn't seem to understand, 'It's because Mum has poorly legs'.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Give it a few months Carole and you'll be fighting fit and she can sit on your knee all night. Mind those bony elbows and jabbing feet are still painful :)
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Could you bring her bed up and set next to you. That way she could not be on the furniture but still get cuddle time in with you?
  17. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    I could try that but we would be at different heights - her bed wouldn't be safe if I raised it. I could sit on the sofa and use a throw for her. It really is a bit too soft for me but I could cope for an hour.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry, I was thinking of putting the bed on the sofa next to you. But you're sitting in a chair, so that won't work.

Could you have someone put the chair and sofa side by side? Then you could put her bed on the sofa next to you. You'd be at similar heights and you could pet her and scratch behind her ears without her being on you or you having to sit on the too soft couch.

Just thinking of possibilities. I know it's difficult to provide "cuddle time" when you hurt.

On the positive side, at least she's understanding about it all. She's a good girl and will wait until you feel good enough. And she won't hold a grudge. :)
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    We have reached a compromise. The leather stool in front of my chair. :058:
    IMG_20221122_225441.jpg
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    As close to perfect as possible!!!!
  21. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    IMG_20221219_170048_kindlephoto-277241358.jpg I really shouldn't have worried, Tally is not bothered about sitting on knees anymore! She has had a wonderful Christmas with lots of gifts, the first being a new bed, (from me). I'm afraid that I overestimated the size - it could easily take two Working Springer Spaniels - but Tally is completely infatuated with it and my knee has now paled into insignificance. She will occasionally sit with me for 10 minutes, just so I don't feel neglected. I have a job persuading her to change to her night-time bed which is in my bedroom - and has an adjacent heater!
    She is a popular girl and Santa also brought 2 new fleece coats, 3 large soft toys, one turkey scented nylon chew toy, one Yakker Himalayan cheese chew, a pack of Dog Allsorts and a pack of Rodeo chews. She also had one small soft toy, but sadly that exploded within an hour!
    Tally and toys.
    IMG_20221225_114200_kindlephoto-282333406.jpg