What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Well, the wind proved to be a dud last night. Not even a normal storm speed. About 3 am, the critters and I made the decision to go to bed upstairs. They were all very happy. Funny that they all are very set on "bedtime we go upstairs" - none of my prior animals took issue if we stayed downstairs overnight.

From this point forward it is just a rainstorm for the next several days. So there may be some flooding, mudslides, and/or downed trees, but no big winds.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Looks like we're gonna have rain on and off through the 19th...

Tornado-dog is still determined to dig out and catch the varmint who has taken refuge from the storm in our backyard. We all may be growing gills shortly.
  4. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Your state made it onto our TV news last night - flooded houses, stranded cars and landslips. Hope it eases soon, take care.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Yeah, we've got "state of emergency status" by the President for this. The saddest thing is that even with all this rain, we still won't have enough water to end our drought...
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I had 1.25-1.5 inches of really wet, heavy snow this morning. Throughout the night I occasionally heard a tree limb or a a tree cracking under the weight. Katie Mae spent a good part of the night on my bed, and Bandit was sleeping next to my bed. I was late to work because I had to clear a few small trees off the road. Our trees aren’t made to handle snow. 1.5 miles away, with the drop in elevation, there was no snow. This is the most snow accumulation I’ve seen in the 32 years I’ve lived there
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    @who owns who I take it that you back on your own land again? You must have had to put in a lot of work to make your home weathertight. I do hope life hasn't been throwing more at you than you can handle. Take care.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I was wondering if you saw snow. Glad it didn't cause more damage - and hoping it doesn't!

I had heavy winds and rain again last night. I usually love winter, but am ready for spring.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’ve about had it with the rain. Roads closed all over the county again. I can’t get into town. Had to cancel an acupuncture appointment. My neighbors who are on the grid are without power again.

The snow last month took down a lot of trees. I hadn’t walked the property for awhile, and I was amazed, and saddened with all the trees down. I need to cut them up and get rid of all the slash (small branches not big enough for firewood) because it’s a fire danger having all that laying on the forest floor.

Bandit keeps standing by the door, but when I open it he doesn’t want to go out. He’s over all this rain too.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I was just going to ask how you made out with this latest storm.

Tornado-dog is in total agreement with Bandit. This rain has got to stop. The only thing it's good for is bringing that varmint into the yard for shelter - Tornado-dog is determined to catch that dang varmint! (It may be a rat, but I haven't been able see it well enough to be sure.)

I've always felt that if there were a supreme being our weather would be like that in Camelot:

It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
    The climate must be perfect all the year.
    A law was made a distant moon ago here:
    July and August cannot be too hot.
    And there's a legal limit to the snow here
    In Camelot.
    The winter is forbidden till December
    And exits March the second on the dot.
    By order, summer lingers through September
    In Camelot.
    Camelot! Camelot!
    I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
    But in Camelot, Camelot
    That's how conditions are.
    The rain may never fall till after sundown.
    By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
    In short, there's simply not
    A more congenial spot
    For happily-ever-aftering than here
    In Camelot.
    Camelot! Camelot!
    I know it gives a person pause,
    But in Camelot, Camelot
    Those are the legal laws.
    The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
    By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
    In short, there's simply not
    A more congenial spot
    For happily-ever-aftering than here
    In Camelot.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm sorry to hear about all the rain in California - sounds like Albert Hammond (?) was right - it pours, man it pours. We keep getting threatened with more of the cold wet stuff but I cut the grass today - enough heat to dry the last nights rain and the morning dew.
    Toed, you will have me humming that all afternoon - and remembering Richard Burton!
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Sounds like you’re feeling quite a bit better if you cut the grass
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The new hip is doing really well. The other one, not so good. Until I get that one replaced I have to pace how much I can do without it seizing up. I only have a small patch of grass to mow though.
    You are having such a lot of bad luck. I hope the weather bucks up soon, nothing looks as bad when the sun is shining. I hope you have enough provisions to tide you and the Akitas over till you can get into town. Take care.
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I can actually get to town on a different route, but a round trip is 50 miles instead of 20, and all traffic will be going that way, so it could get backed up. The good news is that PG&E (the electric power company) has just showed up on the scene. So hopefully they’ll have it opened in a few hours. I rescheduled my acupuncture appointment to this afternoon, I’ll go if they get the road open, but I’m not driving 25 miles each way.

We’ve had a lot of rain over short periods of time this winter, and at this point everything is saturated so the rain just turns to run off, causing mudslides and flooding, and trees easily uproot in big winds. This is what climate change looks like. It’s either drought, or too much moisture.

I’ve plenty of food for the dogs, and enough stuff for me to eat. I generally do my shopping on my days off, which this week was yesterday and today. I’ve no veggies or fruit, but have frozen tamales and soup.

Is there any movement as far as a ballpark date to have your other hip replacement?
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Along with what Marc said about the saturated soil, because of the drought, the tree roots have moved closer to the surface to find water, so the trees don't have enough support to stand up against the winds or slides. And the soil itself has become weakened - so even when dry, it can't hold the tree roots in.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    No, no date yet, but he did dictate a message to his secretary while I was there. I think they allow a minimum of four months between the two operations.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Argggh.... We've got another storm coming.

At least we got enough sunny days to get my back fence replaced. Poor Tornado-dog had to stay inside all day while the guys took down the old fence and put up the new one. He was NOT happy. He and Cat-dog very much wanted to help. To the point they both misbehaved and ran out the door when I opened it twice - they are usually polite about going outside.

Fortunately, it looks like we will have more sunny days than rain over the next couple weeks. I am buying a truckload of plants on the 8th and will need to get them planted. I'm creating a hummingbird friendly garden in the front yard.

UC Davis does these plant sales yearly and focuses on drought tolerant plants for the region. They originally had the sale scheduled for March 11th, but they cancelled it due to the rain - and yes, they acknowledged the irony of cancelling a drought tolerant plant sale due to rain.

Marc - I hope you get bypassed by this next storm. It sounds like it might be focused further north this time.

CaroleC - I'm so glad your new hip is working well! In a few months time you'll be able to hike to Camelot. ;)
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think we are getting some of your rain. Yesterday it announced its intention to arrive with three enormous thunderclaps - in bright sunshine, no rain, no lightening. The weathermen are calling it showers - but these are showers that can flood a suburban road in about 3 minutes. Some of them come with hail and rain together - then suddenly we are back to bright sunshine again! Today was much the same, and my freshly mown grass is looking a bit muddy!

IMG_20230325_154415_kindlephoto-1714381032.jpg

This little violet plant has sprung from nowhere in a neglected pot which once held a shrub. It has triggered a long forgotten memory.
    When I was very young I used to buy a small bunch of violets from the outdoor market for my Mother's birthday. I think the cost was six old pence in those days, (which would now be 2.5 pence). I thought it was strange that the first two violet flowers opened last Sunday - which was Mother's Day in the UK.
    I can't remember the last time I saw violets for sale, they used to be arranged into a tiny posie surrounded by a circle of violet leaves.

I wonder if @Malka remembers these being sold on the streets in London - just like My Fair Lady, (though we aren't quite that old. Ha ha). Don't reply if it is a struggle Juli - just tap the Like button and it will let us know that you are there.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not from London itself - I lived in the furthest suburb in what used to be called the county of Middlesex but which is now just inside the Greater London area, but there were always flower sellers. Mostly outside underground train stations or bus terminals, and usually on a Friday so people could buy them on their way home from work.

I am still around but not posting as I have nothing to say. Please give beautiful Tally cuddles, tummy rubs, and ear twiddles from me. {{{hugs}}} xx
  20. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Of course you do Juli. Just a simple 'Hi' is good enough, but I love to hear your descriptions of your part of the world and the people (and dogs and kitties) in it.

Hope all is well with you. Have you managed to get out yet for some fresh air?
  21. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Marc - doing OK? Any tornados your way?