Rhodesian Ridgeback cross - food Diet

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Artemis67, Jan 31, 2023.

?

How much food to feed my Rhodesian Ridgeback cross puppy?

1. Weight in Kg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Amount of specified mix in cups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Artemis67

Artemis67 New Member

Name:
    Helen

Rhodesian Ridgeback cross - food

Hello All,
    It's my first time on a forum and at age 55 my first puppy.

'Mab' as she is called, is a rescue and failed foster puppy. When she arrived she was approximately 2 months old, had severe rickets and could not walk, she was also infested with fleas and came from a poverty stricken shanty town where the owner had not cared for her at all, she was about to be put out of her misery but I stepped in to foster her. Two sleepless nights and food nearly every hour including assisting her potty needs and on the third day she started walking. She is now a buoyant, 6.5 kilogram puppy, mischievous and a pest to my 15 year old Maltese cross and 2 cats. She developed a ridge and has a RR face but is definitely a cross of some sort.

My challenge is how much food to feed her as I have read that RRs can develop stomach problems and because she was staved of food in her first 2 months she gobbles her food like it's the last feed and then, if I give her too much, brings it up again. So we are feeding her smaller portions about 5 times a day. I mix fresh raw meat, (comprised of, meat including bone 60%, organ meats 20%, veg and fruit 15% and phytonutrients 5%) with brown rice and puppy pellets. If she were 100% RR she should be about 11kg at 3 months but she is 6.5kg due to her undernourished start.

Are there any experts out there who could give me a weight or cup quantity of what her daily food amount should be? I would appreciate your unbiased expertise as most web sites on food quantity are promoting a specific brand of dog food.

Many thanks
    Helen
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I would work with your vet to determine the best amount. Every dog has different needs - even of the same breed or breed mix.

Ideally, you want to feed an amount that maintains a proper weight without creating other issues such as skin irritations, tummy upsets, etc.

Lots of dogs eat fast. Your goal is to help her feel safe that no one will take her food. She likely had to fight for food in her prior life. This may mean separating the other dog during meals. She will likely always eat fast, but it should ease up as she becomes more confident.

I used to believe in using feeding mats, etc, to slow a dog's eating down - until I realized that requiring a dog, especially one who has been starved, to work for their food is reinforcing their fear that they will go hungry. So I don't recommend that anymore. Splitting out her meals is great. It reinforces that she can eat often yet reduces her puking it up.

You've done great with her!

You might get her dna tested to find out what else she has in her. That may help you determine how off her weight is now.