Dog Food Recommendation Diet

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Cody K., Nov 13, 2020.

1. Cody K.

Cody K. New Member

Name:
    Win

Dog Food Recommendation

My Bernese/Pyrnesees is 1.5 years old and we noticed he is getting Inflamed ears and is getting dry under his chin. I am wondering what food you are feeding your berney or recommend.

Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Brenda Myers

Brenda Myers New Member

Name:
    Brenda Myers
    I've heard that they need a lot of calcium in their food. I would suggest something like Blue Buffalo that has a high protein content and low on carbs. You can check the range of high protein foods on sites like Petcarerx or Chewys. Omega 3 and 6 are good for the skin, you can read the labels for that too. But first, I would suggest taking it to a vet.
  4. AceDogBlog

AceDogBlog New Member

Name:
    Monica
    Rachael Ray has some delicious dog food (healthy, too) It's super high quality and my dogs love it!! Definitely recommend.
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rachel Rays dog food isn’t high quality. It might not be horrible but she’s just using her name to fatten up her bank account.

Edit. I just looked at your link and the only one of those that might be high quality is the merrick
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Merrick is one of the very few American dog food manufacturers that do not use any ingredients from China. All of their products in the US, using locally sourced ingredients.

Many of the top name brands have had frequent recalls due to dangerous levels of potentially toxic ingredients.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ gives excellent advice regarding the quality of various dog foods.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Vet check first. Inflamed ears need investigation
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    pretty sure Acana/Orijen do the same as far as US sourced ingredients. They make food in Canada and Kentucky in the US. Some of the ingredients must come from Canada to the US though...Although I’m almost positive that all dog food companies source their vitamin packs from China. There’s a few that claim they get them from Germany, but that German company gets stuff from China, so just a straw man game
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Acana and Orijen do claim that their ingredients are US sourced but there have been some lawsuits regarding them, although I do not know the results.

There is a list of pet foods which use products from China here

https://essentiallydogs.com/these-commercial-dog-foods-source-from-china

but included in that list is the following
    however there is an ongoing recall for their products.
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/recall-expands/
  10. Julibernie

Julibernie New Member

Name:
    Bernie
    We were told by owner previous vet tech to feed our Berner pup Fromm large breed puppy food until he is roughly 2 years old. Our vet said stay away from Blue.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    @Julibernie
    Welcome to Breedia. Feel free to post your own photos or topics.
    Did you notice that this thread is 2 years old? I doubt that you will get a response.