Help, with Medical Problem Behaviour

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Luke_may_4th_bwy, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Luke_may_4th_bwy

Luke_may_4th_bwy New Member

Name:
    Jason

Help, with Medical Problem

Hello,
    Hope all is well, My JRT name is Luke and is currently 6 years of age.
    We came home one evening and our JRT was laying on the carpet with a stiff neck, only looking around with his eyes, and shaking.
    From what it seems he is in pain around the left shoulder blade, but when we touch him on any of his legs he get a little upset showing pain.
    We took him to the vet explaining our status, they gave him a Cortisone shot and (Dexamethasone).
    His pain was relieved for exactly a week after this Luke was in pain again, I took them back to the vet and they gave him another Cortisone shot and a different medication. ( Methocarbamol ) and (Gabapentin).

Below is a video of his status after the meds wear off.

Anybody have similar issues or no what Luke is going through, I have another appointment on Tuesday of next week with a different vet that want to Xrays.

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Luke, he does look in severe pain - could he have had a recent neck or spinal injury? I did have a young puppy that dislocated her shoulder many years ago - that is a painful injury that needs a prolonged period of rest if the joint is not to develop a permanent weakness. I'm sure that the vet will need to x-ray him in order to see exactly what is causing his condition. I hope you learn more next Tuesday, and that you can manage to keep him out of pain until then.
    In case your vet hasn't said so, I would stop his walks for now, and encourage him to rest as much as possible until you find out what the problem is. No running up stairs, and no jumping on or off human furniture. Please come back and let us know when you have a proper diagnosis. Wishing Luke a speedy recovery.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I agree with @Helidale

That the meds are helping does suggest it's a muscle/bone/cartilage issue. The xrays should help determine where the problem is located.

This is one of the rare times that I would actually suggest using a crate. You'll want to limit Luke's movements while he heals. JRTs are notorious for not sitting still and being calm, so a crate can help keep him from overdoing things.

I sure do hope Luke starts feeling better soon.
  5. Luke_may_4th_bwy

Name:
    Jason
    Helidale likes this.
    Thank you, will post a update after xrays, on Tuesday, Thank You!!
  6. Luke_may_4th_bwy

Name:
    Jason
    Sorry havent posted my update Luke is back to normal after Meds for 2 weeks.
    Pinched Nerve.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Luke_may_4th_bwy I'm glad that it wasn't anything more serious and I hope Luke will remain fit and well from now on. Thank you for letting us know.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I'm glad to hear he's back to normal!