Is it normal that one of its ears is down a lot do the times ? Photos

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Arianne07, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne

Is it normal that one of its ears is down a lot do the times ?

KIMG1490.jpeg IMG_20230603_102657.jpeg recently got these pics … kind of curious because before he had pictures with both ears up
    Sorry that it’s blurry in advance that’s how it was given !
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    How old is this puppy?
    I can't give a definitive answer, but young Samoyed puppies will often have floppy ear carriage until the muscles that support them are fully developed. As you say that both ears have been erect in previous photos, I would ask the breeder why he or she thinks the ear has gone down again. It could be that ear carriage is slower to become fixed on that bloodline, or the puppy could have something like wax irritating his ear. Have you seen the parent dogs, or photos of them? Did they both have fully erect ears?
    I did a quick search on the net, and found this article which you might find helpful.
    Https://www.samoyed-dogs.net/samoyed-puppies/floppy-ears/
  4. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you so much ! He is 14 weeks . The pictures below are the parents .
    IMG_9298.jpeg IMG_9297.jpeg
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Our husky puppies did the same thing. Their ears are normally folded at birth - it just takes time for them to firm up and stay upright.

Usually, the ear will start to stand up when the puppy is intent on something and drop when he's relaxed. Since both photos are of him relaxed, his ear is dropped. You can ask for a photo of him focused on something - like a toy or a treat, etc. and see if it is upright in those.