Tibetan Spaniel Discussions

Discussion in 'Tibetan Spaniel' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    I have taken on a Tibetan Spaniel from an older friend/neighbour who has had some health difficulties and will probably not be in condition to take him back. She has been in respite care for two months and that situation might be permanent. We'll have to see.

He is absolutely a fantastic boy, and at two years of age walks very well off leash with me. He is actually much better at this than my mix girls who can be wilful. He also LOVES to play fetch, and tug.

He is very similar to my Cavalier King Charles in biddability and desire to learn. He is not as much a lap sitter, though, preferring to be beside me, not on. I'm actually quite enamoured with the guy. He is a bigger and taller tibbie, at 18 pounds (he could possibly afford to lose a pound).

He was a doted on spoiled and only dog and his original owner is an excellent trainer . . . I'm kind of worried I'll ruin that somewhere along the line.:)

Ruby
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. cardy9

cardy9 New Member

Well done for taking on this Tibbie:grin: .
    We have a female who is now 4 years old and we can exercise her off the lead, she comes back to my husband whistling.!

Anyway, it has taken us quite some time to be able to trust her off lead, so previous owners have done a very good job with yours. A lot of Tibbie owners NEVER exercise their dogs off lead, but ours gets so much enjoyment playing with our other dogs and any that she meets so we are happy and so is she.!
    I have found that if they are brought up with other breeds they are usually easier to train as they copy the other dogs.
    As for sitting on laps, some do it all day and others only when the mood takes them. As I expect you have found they are a very independent, yet loving breed and I hope to always have one.

I wish you many happy years with your boy.
  4. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    It's nice to know you're enjoying your Tibbie ... they really are such interesting dogs.

If you haven't already begun to do so, one of the most important things you're going to have to learn is the "Tibbie language". They're extremely good communicators and have a wide range of barks, noises and body language to convey whatever it is they're trying to tell you.

He's overweight though at 18 pounds .... a Tibbie should only weigh between 9.3 pounds and a maximum of 15 pounds so I think a slimming diet is called for .... my Chloe who will be 2 in June is a "lighty" ... she weighs 9.5 pounds.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  5. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    He certainly is a talker, and will howl on cue to a whistle. He also moans when he is bored, usually with a ball set in front, in an attempt to urge someone into action. :)

In regards to his weight, I had him into the vet to ask, as I am not accustomed to such a deep chested and well ribbed breed.

The vet says he is on the ball for weight with, at the maximum, a pound to lose. Our biggest chore is going to be maintenance at this weight, as this boy is very food motivated.

He is tall as well, at a 12 inch wither height. He is just a big boy. He was originally table and ring trained but outgrew the show ring.

I read on another Tibbie list, based in the USA, and there are some breeders/owners on that list that say they have Tibbies (at fit weight) that are up to 23 pounds.

I know the Cavalier and Papillon breeds well with friends who show and have yet to come across a small breed that doesn't have many oversize members (that usually go to pet homes). That's a good thing for those that like the larger ones. :)

Ruby
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  6. Michelle Rose

Michelle Rose New Member

Name:
    Michelle of Hisown Tibetan Spaniels
    Once you have a Tibetan Spaniel live with you, you will never want any thing else. They are truly the perfect dog. They can live in a small apartment or a family home. They can jog besides you or love to play in your back yard. With his independent nature and quick agility, the Tibetan Spaniel has been compared to a cat.
    Lively and playful, yet also calm and laid-back, this good-natured dog is easy to live with. He fits into an apartment or an estate with equal contentment. All he asks for in the way of exercise are daily walks and occasional romps in a safe enclosed area once a month.
    Tibetan Spaniels are family-oriented: they love to play games with their own people, are sensitive to moods and feelings. I have been breeding them since 1994. They live in my home, under foot and always ready to cuddle when I am.
  7. Michelle Rose

Michelle Rose New Member

Name:
    I have some Tibbies. Where did you get your little dear?
  8. Michelle Rose

Michelle Rose New Member

Name:
    Ruby not to disagree with your friends, Tibetan Spaniels ARE NEVER to be over 15 - 18 pounds in weight. I have been in the confirmation ring and Rally ring. I have been involved with Tibetan Spaniels since 1992 and if they are 23 pounds that is NOT in a fit weight, not at all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  9. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    How can you know this without knowing the height or build of the dog?

Fit depends on build and height. Some dogs are heavier boned and taller than standard and those dogs are FIT at a heavier weight.

ALL dogs in a breed do not come out within standard. There are outliers born in every breed.

I know Papillons that are littermates . . . one 7 pounds and the brother is 16 pounds, and a fit weight. He is just a big boy - both taller and much heavier in bone than most Papillons as well. Same goes for the variation seen in many Cavalier litters that I know of.

My one son is a full 8 inches taller than myself and his dad (and we are not short) as this happens in people as well. He is also heavier than both of us as his height demands it. Should we suggest he is not a FIT weight then because he does not within the family norm?]

Please get off the idea that weight can be used to determine if an animal is fat or unfit. It depends on the height and build of the animal.

Ruby
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  10. Michelle Rose

Michelle Rose New Member

Name:
    So Ruby what you are saying, which is INCORRECT, a Schipperkes who weighes 23 pounds could be fit. If a Tibetan Spaniels is a TRUE Tibetan Spaniel or a Schipperkes is a REAL Schipperkes NEITHER could be FIT at 23 pounds. WHY for those breeds to be FIT at 23 pounds the dog would be a DIFFERENT breed. It would be TOO BIG to be either of the above mentioned breeds. SO I was correct when I said that a Tibetan Spaniel that is 23 pounds is NOT fit, that is IF IT IS a REAL Tibetan SPANIEL and YES I do know the breed, actually quite well.

Michelle Rose of Hisown Tibetan Spaniels since 1992
  11. Michelle Rose

Michelle Rose New Member

Name:
    :grin:
    I have 6 that own me and my home. Any one who has tibbies in their home knows Tibbies own us we don't own them.LOL
  12. rubylover

rubylover New Member

Name:
    rubylover
    This began with unsolicited but well meaning advice . . . someone telling me, sight unseen, that my Tibbie was overweight without knowing a single thing about his build.

A purebred dog is determined as that breed by its heritage and pedigree . . . not by the fact that it does or does not fit within the standard.

In the USA heights of up to 15 inches and weights upwards of 20 pounds were accepted in the ring up to 1975, with most males 12 inches at the shoulder. Stud books were not closed until the mid 80s. Downsizing came following that but throw backs are NOT uncommon. Many USA breeders speak of liking best a substantial dog to this day.

Tibbies can be born both TALL and heavy in bone and when you combine both of those you end up with a dog that SHOULD have more weight on it than the standard Tibetan Spaniel.

It is ludicrous to believe that dogs of a breed are all born within standard. Pet bred registered Tibbies here tend to be large.

A non-standard dog is not LESS of a Tibetan Spaniel, nor is it a different breed. THAT suggestion is insulting.

Here are comments about the bigger and FIT Tibbies from an open Tibetan Spaniel forum based in the USA, provided with a link for your perusal.

Your argument is not with me. I'd suggest you join and take it up there and convince these people their dogs are not Tibbies and that they and their vets are wrong about them being at fit weights.

http://tibbies.net/forum/index.php?topic=1135.0

http://tibbies.net/forum/index.php/topic,928.0.html?PHPSESSID=7f5a24c7c70545dddf2a2286a8f5f82d

Ruby
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012