New Cav- General Info wanted. Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Vawny, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Vawny

Vawny New Member

Name:
    Vawny

New Cav- General Info wanted.

As many of you will know, I have a lively cavalier cross, and for companionship and because I've always wanted one, we are going to get a cavalier once we have done the appropriate research.

I have been told that two dogs are just as easy to care for as one, but many of the forum members have shown concern that I may end up with two dog centred pets.

Is there anything about the Cav that anyone can tell me to help me prepare for the new arrival? I have heard that cavaliers crave human company, and that they are not safe off lead without constant stimulation. Is this true, how can I raise a person centre cav with a very nosey cross being around?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixy

Trixy

Name:
    Jasmine
    I shall pm you later :)
  4. Vawny

Vawny New Member

Name:
    Vawny
    Thank you! xx
  5. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Hi Vawny,

I can only speak from experience. I think cavaliers gererally adapt to most situations.

I had a boy for 11 years alone (no playmate) and he was perfectly happy alone ( so I believe ) Although I did try to socialize him with others as much as possible.

I now have 2 cavaliers both came to me at different times. Harvey ( the first ) and a young pup was very affectionate towards me, but once a playmate "Archie" was introduced this "attention" was less.

Initially we had a few dominance problems, mainly over toys, but this soon disappeared.

With "two" I now find them less demanding, like children really, they play together.

I wish you luck in the future with finding a suitable cavalier x
  6. Trixy

Trixy

Name:
    Jasmine
    Totally agree Trace you can never have too many Cavaliers :) they enjoy the company :)
  7. Vawny

Vawny New Member

Name:
    Vawny
    Thank you everyone, we're definately going for it.

I think it will be more difficult because of our first dog, I just have to make sure I have time for everyone! xx
  8. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    i think cavaliers do much better in pairs or more
    they work well as a pack as long as you ensure your the boss or they will gang up on you LOL
  9. TEDCAV

TEDCAV New Member

Name:
    Kathy
    Hi
    Best to make sure you spend separate time with both dogs, not necessarily easy, but makes for both dogs to be "into" their owners. I have been doing this with Ted and Bertie and they are both focussed on me.
    As for not letting them off the lead, from experience, all out Cavvies have been fine, again its making sure they know that your the leader, that you aren't going to wait for them and they'll keep their eye on you, even whilst their noses are very busy being spaniel.
    Good luck, I'm enjoying having two
  10. Katered

Katered New Member

Name:
    Katie
    my cav has some "come" issues, but only because i un knowingly re inforced it when she was younger. we are now using jen fennels methods to correct it. she does not crave human attention, but if she had been allowed im sure she wouild have grown up craving it. she can use her cuteness against unsuspecting people.

people seem to treat little cute dogs differently, cuddling them more, allowing them to get on sofas and sleep in people beds and things because they are cute and cuddly and fluffy and little, maybe therefore they make them crave attention???
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Cavaliers have been bred for 100s of years to be companions to humans. They have been selectedly bred to make a good "ladies dogs"that can hunt.

I cannot see why anyone needs to apply dominance based"methods"to a Cavalier.

Are you aware of the history of the breed at all ? They are descendants of "Royal"spaniels & Blenheim spaniels they were used to hunt Woodcock & also to keep the mice & rats down in the bedchambers of the Royal Court of Queen Elizabeth I onwards. They were also used as"comforter"dogs.

To say that this breed is made to love humans by the owners-sorry it has been bred into them over generations & I personally wouldn't want them any other way. My dogs are treated as dogs BTW not babies not"cutsey"or"fluffy" either