Utonagan Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Discussion Thread, May 15, 2004.

1. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Mum: Redkite Ki'nma
    Gradmother: Redkite Keisha
    :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Brandykins

Brandykins Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Rosemary
    Loki's mother's parents were from Redkite Loato@Blustag (Sire) and Redkite Wiyanna @ Blustag (Dam) and the Sire's parents as well were Wahesi @ Redkite (Sire) and Redkite Keisha (Dam, also the Dam was Sulin Shanaska @ Spotted Wolf and Redkite Keisha (Dam)!

I don't have any pics of them though - just loads of Loki:)
  4. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    sorry just seen your answer, will have a look at papers after Xmas xxxx
    Thanks BKs, bet we have some relatives in common xxxxx
  5. Brandykins

Name:
    Rosemary
    Yes, we must have! The Utes are a lovely breed and very lovable. I am so proud of my Loki - she is one happy lass!

Take care:)
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

Sulin Shanaska is Tai's mum!!
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Hi Brandykins,

Sorry, ignore this post.
  8. Brandykins

Name:
    Rosemary
    Sorry for the delay in responding to this!! So Loki is related to Tai?

It's been ages since I was on here:shock:

Loki will be five years old this Saturday (29 January)!

Take care :)
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I have often wondered about the Collie input. Some NIDs and Utes do have a Collie look about them,(I am talking about the longer coated dogs). And I am not saying that to upset people or to cause trouble, it is how I see it. Especially a few of the older dogs I have seen (either in person or pics of). When NID people refer to Collie being in the Ute , are they refering back to Eddie's time? If so that does not seperate the NID from the Ute? If it does can someone explain why? I don't see them as two seperate breeds. When I bought my first NID, he could easily have been a Ute. We could not see what the difference was between the dogs other than obviously the clubs being different. I guess the question is , further along from Eddie's time, has there been an input of Collie into the Ute? If not why are Utes and NIDs considered to be different 'breeds'?
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    T'would seem so - they look similar don't you think? Tai is about 7 or 9 now I suppose, can't remember exactly. We've had 3 or so years, so he must be around that.

Loki is a beautiful boy - don't tell Tai, but he is far handsomer with his beautiful silky coat and colouring. Tai's coat is - dare I say it - more like a GSDs in texture, not colouring. :mrgreen:
  11. Brandykins

Name:
    Rosemary
    Oh Loki is a girl! And, yes, she is like Tai - he is a beauty! Loki was naughty a couple of weeks ago - she at a pair of my pants and I had to take her to the vet. He didn't want to do an exploratory on her in case it brought on her fits. I just gave her cod liver oil capsules, plenty of tuna and sardines in sunflower oil and she passed them thru on Thursday of last week. She was so relieved:grin:

Nice to meet another of Loki's relatives.

Take care:)
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:lol::lol: Naughty girl! Glad she is okay.
  13. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Hal's favourite trick was to eat Holly's socks!! And erm items of lady's sanitary ware - used of course :blush:
  14. Brandykins

Name:
    Rosemary
    Oh they do get up to everything, don't they.

Thanks Linda - hope Loki's cousin, Loki, is hail and hearty as well as you!!

Strange, how they love to eat things like that, Gnasher!!
  15. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    Can't help you there WW but I agree with what you said:) The Collie-like behaviour/look of one of our Ute's has got me a lot more interested in the breed:grin:
  16. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Just my thoughts WW - I believe collie's were used, like you i have seen pics of older dogs that look like collie's and like you i believe some line's still have a bit of the collie look but i doubt anyone will ever admit to them being used. I dont think anybody has added recent collie so i imagine when NI people say there is collie in Ute they are meaning back in Eddie's time. Perhaps at the time of the split the dogs with the collie look or line's were classed Ute and the dogs with mostly Husky line's became NI? I dont think we will ever know for sure.
  17. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I remember visiting one NI breeder a few years back and we saw definate Collie in one of her lines. It was noticeable enough for both of us to comment on it as soon as we got back in the car! There must be a few of the earlier dogs that could have ended up in either Ute or NI camp, depending on who you were friends with at the time of the split (or should I say the first split).
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thanks for your input Bint and Liz and Keisha, I actually quite like the 'Collie' ish looking dogs. There are still dogs out there with this look. You have made me think Liz, when the split occurred was Eddie still alive? Apart from when we were trying to establish when the Crosses were named 'NIDs', on Dogsey a while back, I haven't really looked at dates.
  19. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    Yes very much so ww, its not so long ago she died but she stopped breeding long before her death. If you speak to Lynb she stayed in touch with her up until a couple of years before she passed.

P.S - i also like the collie(ish) looking lines. ;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  20. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    It is like taking three steps forward and two steps back!! However, although it is a process of little snippets of info here and there, and separating the truth from fiction, the pieces of the puzzle do seem to be coming together.
  21. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Eddie used Cap, her husband's collie, in at least 2 matings. God knows why, but she did. So there is collie in the founder dogs.

At the time of the split, JK went her way, and Eddie her's.