Utonagan Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Discussion Thread, May 15, 2004.

1. liz & kiesha

liz & kiesha New Member

Name:
    Liz
    I believe there is rough collie in some lines, however Cap was a border collie.

The photo i seen of a 'pure' Ute (LOOKED LIKE) this dog but with more spots, less black and a bit hairier.

[​IMG][/IMG]

When i questioned it i was told by the breeder that she thought certain mountain dogs had been used in the past and there would be throwbacks but collie was not used, it was enough to make me give up any further searching, said person's word was taken as gospel on the photo by others and i knew then it was time to move on :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Yeah, I agree, I can't imagine Rough Collie was used, though some dogs def have the Lassie type colouring xx
  4. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Cap was definitely BC, Eddie's husband, Bill, always had BC's, I never heard mention of roughs.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    It is just the colouring that relates but that could be from anywhere, I guess. But I don't know the relationship between a Rough Collie and a Border Collie either.
  6. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

I believe the collie dog of the time (which was ancestor of the border collie) was bred with the Borzoi to give it a posher head :) so they all kinda come from the same roots
    I might be wrong tho
  7. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Thank you xx
  8. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Was Cap used before or after the split with JK?
  9. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Before, definitely before. It was before we met Eddie for the first time.
  10. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    how very interesting Ben, makes sense looking at them, lassies do have a certain Borzoi look about them.
  11. bint

bint New Member

Name:
    Susan
    I've decided to acknowledge the Collie ancestry and have renamed my Ute boys Cuties:lol: :grin:
  12. Heather and Zak

Name:
    heather
    And they are cuties too.:lol:
  13. Heather and Zak

Name:
    heather
    So if this is true there will be collie in the gene pool, and possibly in the dogs that JK had.
  14. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I agree ref how cute and gorgeous Bint's dogs both are xxxxxx

In my mind this could explain butterfly noses as well as the Collie look.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Yes, and why not. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are saying it as if it were a problem :shock:
  16. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    no! most 'good ole mutts' have collie in there somewhere :lol:
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

I think the problem is that these dogs were billed to be 'pure' GSD/Husky/Malamute - and not even crosses - with no mention made of the possible collie (et al) additions - and the resultant price tag, of course.

If the dogs had been advertised to reflect the truth there wouldn't have been such an issue.:grin:
  18. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    They were "billed" as being husky x mal x w actually ... by Eddie. Admittedly she did not tell me about Cap ... it was a friend of mine who told me about Cap.

After the split, as I have already explained, JK apparently used more collie as her source of new stock via Eddie ceased.
  19. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    And a good thing too - it was not something I knew about, as Eddie did not tell me about Cap (it was a friend who told me) - but I don't have a problem of course with a couple of litters being sired by good old Cap. I have a far bigger problem with Eddie doing 2 father/daughter matings ... that is not good.
  20. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Eddie was before my time. When I became aware of these dogs there was not an awful lot of info around if you came in as a complete novice. I found the Ute Society, the NIS, Lynn S and Nadia, all of whom proclaimed the 'pure-about-to-gain-KC-status' 'Wolf-lookalike', 'GSD, husky, mal' mix, 'bred pure since the 80s' line. Let's not leave out the 'no health problems' claim. Ha bloody ha, given Loki's epilepsy.

I admit I was naive back then but they all preyed upon people like me. When I subsequently mentioned the collie accusation to the breeder I was met with complete denial, same as the health problems.
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    with her founder dogs :? lol oh dear :-(