What does a BullGreyhound look like??? Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by Cooper, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Luke

I like Lurchers thats it

Mungo bean makes a great pet! hes loyal, loving, hes scared of cats, he will never ever harm a human! he does not need to be worked! He gets everything this old man has ever wanted

imo one of the best dogs to have as pets!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Whiz

Whiz

Yes they make excellent pets not all people that breed Lurchers breed with the working issues in mind, some breed for the Lurcher and Greyhound show circuits (Many of the shows are held closeby to where I live) and not all people at those shows work their Lurchers either. Lurchers are fantastic people dogs and theres many Lurchers out there that do not make the "Working" Grade. So those ones do make nice pets, and why should`nt they?
  4. China

China

Name:
    ruff
    HI Cooper,
    here another bullxgreyhound
    [​IMG]
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    now thats a beautiful dog
  6. Fred

Fred New Member

Name:
    fred

bullgreyhound
  7. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    Yes they are English bull x Greyhound (the white 1s) but if i am right in thinking any bull and Terrier X Greyhound will make a Bull Greyhound
    I.E
    Pitt X
    Am-staff X
    staffy X
    Bull terrier X
    or they would call then Staffordshire Bull-Greyhound :smt102
  8. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    "What is a Bull Arab? Well the name Bull Arab came about around 26 to 28 years ago, when a fellow by the name of Mick Hodges, living in and around Brisbane at the time , ended up with a mistake litter of pups out of a Bullterrier bitch called Bull and a Doberman dog called Arab. Whilst writing an advertisement in the local paper to sell the pups in a hurry after work, he wrote down Bull Arab pups, instead of Bull – Doberman pups and did not even realise this until his first few phone calls that Saturday morning. A good number of people rang enquiring about the Bull Arab pups, and seeing the opportunity, Mick carried on the name for a number of years, selling just about anything he could get his hands on as a Bull Arab. A joint breeding program with a couple of other blokes soon kicked into gear and by putting together Bullterrier, Greyhound and Pointer for tenacity, speed and hunting ability, they started work on the Bull Arab that is commonly used today and still very much the type that it was when first put together 5 or6 years after the name came about." This is a quote from an article about Bull Arabs.

But if you look up aussie pig dog, you will find that some of them call any think with bull or mastiff X sight hound Bull Arab :lol:
  9. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
  10. deefin

deefin New Member

Name:
    diane
    impressive animals so pretty
  11. patterlad

patterlad New Member

Name:
    Steve Rogers
    Luke i no what you are saying mate they are breed for hunting .I think Hayley was just commenting on the appearance of the dog .
    Luke have you seen one of these dogs run my god they are fast. :)
  12. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    hi patterlad! i have a lurcher irish wolfhound x greyhound, i do adore lurchers! I understand that they were bred for hunting, but mungo bean is truely a pet! hes a wonderful pet! My parents bred him! We own the IWH and GH! Beanie does chase rabbits! Hes 12 now so he dont catch them! Max could run like the wind he was amazing!
    Im more agaisnt fox and deer hunting! I would rather there be no hunting, but if the hunt is to kill and then eat the animal then fair enough! Also as long as its done with none of the animals involved are abused or in pain!
    Of course i would never go on a hunt! But im totally agaisnt fox and deer hunting!

lurchers are truely beautiful dogs and do make wonderful pets! The BullGreyhound is beautiful to look at and i knew a staffie x greyhound called boss and was the most loving dog i have ever met in my life! and to look at one of the best!

I grow up with my lurcher im 20 and hes 12 so i had him since i was nearly 9 years old! and lurchers will always have a place in my heart!
  13. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    this is my lurcher mungo bean
    [​IMG]
  14. LKW

LKW New Member

Ahhh your lurcher looks cute!! I have a soft spot for scruffy lurchers and Mungo Bean's colouring is very similar to that of my lurcher (I dont see many tan lurchers around here). BTW I agree that they do make fantastic family pets - Honey's been with us just over a week, and she's been fantastic despite the fact that she was probably bred for work/hunting.
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Bull Terrier X Greyhounds are primarilly used a Fox dogs, they were chosen because of the massive bite strength and the quickness of their kill. I personally wouldn't want one, I believe there are plenty of other Lurcher crosses that can do equally a good job, however I have seen them work and they are superb, couldn't fault them.
    Dawn.
  16. patterlad

patterlad New Member

Name:
    Steve Rogers
    I no of a few people that have lurchers as pets Hayley and they adore them to .They make super pets and i can see why you think the world of mungo bean. :grin:
  17. Cooper

Cooper New Member

Thanks everyone! I didnt realise they were Bull Arabs - even though I knew what Bull Arabs are!!!!! They are amazing looking!

Hayley - your Mungo Bean looks a lovely character!!!
  18. Mac1

Mac1 New Member

Crossed for their strength and ability within the hunting fraternity. EBT rarely used in these parts, they (ebt) are usually crossed (with various hounds) in Oz as pig hunting dogs. Fox hunting is their main stay (BullXGrey) some say they can be harder to train and ignorant. There are some fine looking specimens of this cross.
  19. geordieboxerlover

geordieboxerlover New Member

Name:
    susan
    why are people finding the need to cross breed?
    is this not where the trouble starts crossing one strong dog with another?
  20. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    Any breeding, cross or otherwise, can have unfortunate results if care and attention is not paid to temperament and health. With cross breeds, whose antecedents are not traceable, the risks of unstable temperament and health issues, are higher. Pig dogs are deliberate, and specific, crosses for the purpose of producing a strong, fast, brave animal.
  21. Mac1

Mac1 New Member

The cross used for hunting (BullXGrey) in their own right as a single breed are not up to the job in hand, the bull would be to slow for starters and the grey just wouldn't have that extra bit of strength needed. Hence the cross seems to produce a dog with both positive atributes for its hunting ability.