Breed choice (what are NIs like as pets) General Chat

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Skooshbag, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    The best advice advice i can give you hun is if you want a NI you get one its always going to be a sore subject its up to you what you believe x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Aww Jem thats not always the case.

My opinion of NI's is that they are wonderful dogs and in real life I have never seen the negativity that is apparant on here.

I have also made some really good friends through both the breed and through none breed prejudice clubs that we are members of.

Its not all doom and gloom like some people like to make out :grin: :grin:
  4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Totally off topic hun, if you want to enquire about my puppies please use the the propper channels via my website hun :grin:
  5. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Ok hun will do x
  6. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    I bet, not a nice scene is it
  7. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    You make it very obvious you dislike NI's Cheyenne. Which makes the question why you are planning on crossbreeding them very relevant in my opinion. If you dislike them so much why not just not breed your dogs at all? Or do as you have done previously and rehome them?

I can think of one reason and one reason only.
  8. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Sorry I dont see how this is relevant, maybe you should re-read the OP 's post :? I have given my veiw on NI's as a pets, which he asked for.

If I dislike NI's why have I got 3???

I have re-homed 1 dog, and have explaid why in other threads, and will not go through it again, tis not relevant to this thread :?
  9. abbie

abbie Member

Name:
    Which one was that Breeze, Nanuq, Luna who have all been rehomed by you or was it a different dog?

Yes I agree that is offtopic but you lied Cheyenne.
  10. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Totally off topic, but I have NOT lied so stop twisting the facts to suit yourself. I have only ever re-homed Breeze, Nanuq went out on breeding terms then came bk to me, Luna was with me on breeding terms from her breeder and is now back with her. I do not understand what this has to do with this thread? :?

Happy New year to you all :grin:
  11. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    To do "crossbreeding" do you not need to have a breed to cross in the first place? :?
  12. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    LOL Welcome to the wonderful world of NI ownership!!

There is this issue of ill health in the breed but in my experience and from the NI's I've met and seen (I attended the Skipton Show in August), I've never seen any evidence of it. However, I don't find my NI submissive and he does have quite a strong guarding instinct hence the huge difference in him from when he is at home to out and about. Both of these go against the 'breed' standard.

I had my NI castrated in October and I will honestly say I do not think I could cope with him if I hadn't, he was becoming quite dominant and was scent marking my house and generally quite full of himself. Although, having him castrated has brought a whole host of new problems we have had to contend with but he is getting better.

As Borderdawn pointed out and from my own observations, quite a few owners do seem to use shock collars as a way of controlling any unwanted behaviour, I personally do not agree with this.

They are definately not an easy dog to keep and as an owner, it does concern me that so many of the breeders are now coming forward and slagging the 'breed' off when they have happily bred and SOLD these dogs for many years.

Whether the NI will survive as a 'breed' only time will tell but they don't appear to be the ticking timebombs that some people would have you believe.

As said before, all my own personal opinions based on my experience and observations.
  13. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    To be fair Jo you wont see evidence of bad breeding as its kept as a dirty little secret, they wont be parading their badly bred and sick dogs round the Skipton show though will they.
  14. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Very true but it has been insinuated that ALL NI's are sick and diseased and there's not a healthy one amongst them. So are you saying that that is untrue and there are healthy examples of NI's?
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I imagine CHeyenne will be charging the same amount for her crossbreeds as she charged for the crossbreeds she already bred..same as all the other crossbreeds being bred by NIS, TIDA etc..
  16. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky

To be fair, i don't really think anyone has insinuated that on this thread BUT I think the point is that when so much covering up has been done by unscrupulous breeders about the health issues and to be blunt, the total mess that is the NI's genetic history, it's personally not a gamble i would ever want to take in taking on a new dog. Of course there are healthy examples of NIs (although i would add that with the confusion over a lot of the breed lines that seems to be more luck than judgement) but the seemingly high number of various ailments among them is concerning. Especially when a number of these are genetically carried.
  17. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    To be fair also, you have stated:

'but the seemingly high number of various ailments among them is concerning'

What is this concern based on? How many actual NI owners do you personally know that have sick dogs?

The whole thing just goes round and round and bits get added here and there. I personally think the main problem within the 'breed' is not the dogs themselves but the 'egotistical, I know better than everyone else' people involved. There are so many that appear so desperate to be portrayed as good and ethical they sometimes seem to forget just what they are saying and the damage it is doing.

There are far too many people involved that just haven't given a s**t about the dogs and have purely seen pound note signs but when things have gone wrong, have been only to willing to turn round and point the finger of blame at one person rather than admitting that they f**ked up and have not done things properly IMO.
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi Jo.
    Just on the NI forum in the last few months, I have been told that in the dogs needing homes section, there has been an Epileptic Dog, one with Hip Dysplasia, one that cant live with any other animals, some that suffer from seperation anxiety etc.. Do you consider that "healthy" in a very small number wise type of dog? I think thats extremely worrying.:-(
  19. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    I agree totally with your comments about the "high moral ground" stance and the fact that dogs health has been sacrificed for money.
    As far as my health comments go, they are taken by personal observation. I know only a handful of NIs in the flesh, one has hip dysplacia (that's what happens when no hip scoring is done before breeding or the results are ignored) and the other is currently at the vets after a suspected epileptic fit. One could say this is a high incidence in only a small number I know (and a still small breed) but obviously, can not be seen as an accurate reflection. So, I have read and conversed a lot (with many MANY different sources and view points) to try and form a more balanced opinion. The number of NI owners coming forward with cases of epilepsy and hip problems is worrying. To put it in perspective though, I don't think the NI groups have helped themselves in any way whatsoever, either backstabbing each other, refusing to answer questions to downright lying about them and for me, that is the simple reason why i could NEVER with a clear conscience recommend a NI to anyone as a pet.
  20. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What forum was this? I haven't seen any Epileptic Dogs for rehoming at all . .

As for the others its problems like that (seperation anxiety ect) which land ALL breeds into resuce in the first place. Its rarely the dogs fault and with some work and training in the right home can be sorted out. I don't think its 'Extremely worrying' just one of those things . .
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Havent you, you ought to look through the "checked" threads then. DEFINITLEY one Epileptic (at least, cant comment on previous) definitley one with Hip Dysplasia but not requiring meds at the moment, the Epileptic one was on meds, the one Luz bred who was to be homed without other animals, and there have been others too. Im not lying Rachel. Jk wrote the one about the Hip Dysplasia and the Epilepsy I think.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.