Irish bull terrier - when do they start filling out? Health

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by paula ashman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. paula ashman

paula ashman New Member

Name:
    paula

Irish bull terrier - when do they start filling out?

i have a male irish bull terrier,hes 20 months old and tall and lanky, i would like to hear from anyone who has the same dog and if so at wot age did theres start filling out.as im abit worried mine is to thin for his age....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Without starting the age old debate, perhaps it would be easier for you to post a picture of your dog for others opinion on if he looks too thin if you're worried?

As this is more a type than a breed they can all differ but at almost 2 years old any breed dog should have been maturing for some months now, although most go through a lanky stage it's usually past and gone by 2 years of age.
  4. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    IF this is a ISBT lots of them are very leggy and light weight I actually thought that was what was wanted, believed that some one decided the dog should be athletic and that usually means lean and with long leavers (bones)
  5. laura elizabeth

laura elizabeth New Member

Name:
    laura
    i have the same dog but mines 14 months, he is really filled out his coat is glossy and he is packing a fair bit of muscle can i ask? what is your dogs diet maybe i could give you some advice.
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Thing is Laura the ISBT are not a breed in the usual sense so although yours may be well muscled because of its background animals the OP's dog may have a totally different background and will never become one of the heavily muscled type but remain a more athletic type. Like us it depends on what our ancestors are and their type and physical makeup.
  7. laura elizabeth

laura elizabeth New Member

Name:
    laura
    okay, i never realised that thank you for that information.
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    ISBT are basically bull type cross breeds so you will see the type of dog used to produce the puppy in question may have been totally different to those used to produce your own. Many are staffie crosses but some are Am Staff crosses and some will be other bull type breeds crossed to produce whatever the breeder was looking for. Depends on where they were bred and who bred them.
  9. paula ashman

paula ashman New Member

Name:
    paula
    thanks for all ur reply,s i guess my worries stem from the fact that other dogs of his type seem more meaty, pluse he,s always been a picky eater. we feed him on eukanuba for staffys and mix in either sardiens or natural dog food. but he will only eat one meal a day, so maybe he will always be on the leaner side!!!
  10. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Are there bitches in the area?
  11. paula ashman

paula ashman New Member

Name:
    paula
    he lives with a 6 month old one, but anyway he,s been done when he was 13 months old!!!!
  12. paula ashman

paula ashman New Member

Name:
    paula
    only the the 6month one he lives with, but he,s been done so should,nt b a problem :)