Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Patch, Feb 24, 2009.

?

Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please

1. Dog A

90 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. Dog B

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Magic when I state bred for the pet market I mean by people who put any bitch with any dog regardless of pedigree, health issues, conformation, working ability etc.
    Yes when bred for show not all will make the grade just like those that are bred specificaly for working not all have the potential to work.
    It will depend on the mating whether 1,2,3 or even 4 go to people who want to show or compete at something else, as you know litters can vary from 2-12 pups. Also the same for working, the difference is some of the workline are not suitable as pets.
    Take a look at any GSD rescue site and look closely at the dogs, the majority are badly bred or workline not showline.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Magic

Magic New Member

Name:
    Magic
    Wildmoor thanks for the reply. As I am aware, many showline pups go to pet homes, in fact I suspect that considerably many more end up as pets as opposed to being shown, whether they do ob, agility or companion - still pets. I distinctly disagree with your reference to dog rescue, I visit many sites on a very regular basis and indeed at one point had been looking to acquire a working line from rescue - they were are rare as hens teeth. That trend has changed in recent months quite considerably, there are now many in there, plenty of badly bred looking animals too, but also showline! Anyway, I take your point with your ref regarding pet market as those bred without due care to health and temperament.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I guess you may be right.. still, not what I would call a good example though...
  5. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Evolution of the German Shepherd

Very interesting link, if Horand V Grafrath was used to write original the breed standard, he doesn't look like the dogs we have today.
  6. Archer

Archer New Member

mmmm...I don't think any breed looks the same as it did 50/100 years ago.
  7. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    Totally agree with you on that,

but IMO not always a change for the better, some are unrecognisable as the same breed
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Humm.....think a lot of the sighthounds are very similar.
  9. Archer

Archer New Member

Similar yes...but not the same.All breeds evolve...wether for good or bad
  10. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Not sure what you mean Tassle, do you mean that a lot of sighthounds have changed in the last 100 years or do you mean that a lot of sighthounds are like the GSD?

Or do you mean that sighthounds look like one another?
  11. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    I'm so glad that a Border Collie now still looks like the Border Collie I grew up with, many moons ago! King of Pooches.

Snorri
  12. Reisu

Reisu New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    personally i'd rather have a dog who had a poor ear set than looked like his *rse was melted away, i really really cant see the aesthetic appeal or balance in dog b, less so than in dog a certainly :shock: zamp looks like he's far too long and weighted at the front with a bowed spine, to me the naive pet owner :lol:
  13. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I know I am biased as she is my dog, but I look at this pic of Jess and think it is how I would like GSD's to look (with regards to their back)

[​IMG]
  14. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    We have a fantastic old encylopedia that has some great old pictures of dogs in there. A lot of the breeds have changed a lot, but on the whole the sighthounds seem very unaltered.
    Also looking through pictures I could find on the web they seemed very similar to ones found today.....maybe it is because they tend to be 'older' breeds who have already gone through the changes that we are seeing in the more recent breeds.......just my audible (or readable!) ramblings :lol:
  15. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    I have voted A, it seems a much more balanced dog than B. Although I have to say I prefer the head and colour of B.
  16. Archer

Archer New Member

If you stood her in a show stance she would have quite a slope(depending how 'exagerated' it was)!
    Shes lovely!:grin:
  17. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison

yes I love the BC, I hope that as it is a quite recent KC recognised breed it won't be changed too much for showing in the future
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Sorry a bit OT as this thread is about GSDs, but Artic the show collie in general is a far cry from the working animal :-(
  19. Leema

Leema New Member

Name:
    Tegan
    Never owned one but prefer the hindquarters of the first dog so voted for dog A. Dog B I prefer the head.
  20. rottalmarotts

rottalmarotts New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Dog A here, looks a better balanced dog
  21. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    dog a for me, i don't like them with the slopped backs and i have never owned either.