A quick NI-BI question

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    The affix thing is of complete irrelevance. Not all registered dogs have affix's, my Misty hasn't an affix, not because there's anything untoward just because she was a one off litter so the owners didn't think it was worth registering one.

There are hundreds of pedigree breeds out there who get bred by byb or people that want just one litter or believe having a litter is in the best intrest of the bitch etc, I very much doubt every single one of them registers an affix with the Kennel Club before registering their litter of pups.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    I assume you are referring to my post - I can tell you I have no fewer than 5 databases for these dogs. There is no record at all on any of them of the dogs supposedly in that particular dogs past. A bit strange don't you think - that in a breed where every dog is very closely related that one can turn up with a past not involving any dog in all other NIs pedigree?

Angelmist is correct with regard to affixes though. You don't need an affix to breed dogs. Even so, dogs with affixes would appear in a dogs pedigree whether that dog has an affix or not.
  4. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo
    You assume wrong, my comment was aimed at the 'Raven is not an NI statement' but obviously the information has originated from yourself. It would now appear that this latest NI revelation is based on your own personal database information looking 'a bit strange'.

Wouldn't it be preferable to do a bit more homework before making these accusations? The least you could do is make a half hearted attempt at appearing credible!
  5. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    If there is a question over this dogs pedigree, or lack of, it could easily be sorted with DNA profiling the Sire and Dam. I am all for breeders DNA profiling their dogs.
  6. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    You are wrong - this info isn't based on the database (which was compiled after Raven appeared) - it is from the knowledge I gained from being there at the time! I don't need to do my homework - I know what I know because I was there.

I am all for DNA profiling - all my dogs and litters are DNA profiled. This will, of course, only help in the future. It doesn't tell us the history and you can't DNA dogs that don't exist. Even DNA profiling depends on an element of trust - it is the owners responsibility to ensure that the DNA comes from the dog it is claimed to come from.
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    How old is Raven? Wouldnt his parents still be alive?
  8. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    You beat me to it Dawn.:lol: I would have thought if he is still being used at stud he can't be very old. I notice his date of birth is not on his stud page, you would think that would be important to someone looking at him as a possible stud for their bitch. Does anyone know his parents as I would think they must be still alive?
  9. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    For his age then yes, his parents could (or should) still be alive. But no one will know the ones on his pedigree as they don't exist.

For confirmation, any NI owner can check with Carol Sandrey - registrations officer for TIDA - as she was the one who dealt with his registration in the first place.
  10. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    This is a pic of Raven the day JK got him, she claimed he was 10months old at the time.

[​IMG]
  11. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    Just to correct what I said earlier - his dam on his pedigree does exist (but without DNA its not possible to say whether she was his dam or not). However, his sire's pedigree only goes back two generations and if I click on 'relations' on the database - he doesn't have any.

So, is it possible that there is an NI in existance who has no relatives and bears no relationship whatsoever to any of the 2,000+ other NI out there?
  12. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    That picture was not taken the day Julie got Raven, for one thing, it was evening when he came, I was the first person to see him, and the junk is from the old shed we tore down and was waiting for the skip to arrive, Marie you have never been to the property so you really shouldnt make infantile comments.
  13. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    I'm not going to argue over the time of arrival - but I have the original email somewhere and I thought it was afternoon but its not important.

As you are here Sue - can you explain why Raven's sire has no relatives in common with any other NI? I admit it has always mystified a few of us and it would be nice to finally put an end to this mystery.

Thanks.
  14. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi,

Firslty I ahve to say that frmo his picture, Raven looks to be a gorgeous dog! (Completely irrelevant I know).

Please excuse my ignorance or stupidity - I know nothing about NIs as I've never owned one and I knwo even less about registering dogs ro their pedigrees.

but if it seems that Raven has no relatives, is it at all possible that his name was changed at some point? Or once a dog is registered do they have to keep that name?

Laura xx
  15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Name:
    Marie
    Hi

A dogs reg name SHOULD always remain the same, it's only the pet name that can be changed if the dog is re-homed or sold.
  16. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    He doesn't look much like any of the NIs I have seen. If I had to make a guess, I would say that he was first generation Malamute/Husky cross. It could just be the photograph's angle, but there doesn't appear to be that GSD look about him that so many NIs have.

Mick
  17. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

Hi Sandra

Do you know how often this dog has been used at stud?

Thanks.
  18. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    Am I correct in thinking that SC is saying that Raven is not a NID?
  19. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Sorry, was watching Torchwood. Sandra, I have definitly seen Mahlek Drifter in other pedigrees, I know full well who you think are Ravens parents, and its been suggested to me that if you would care to pay for DNA, it can be proven they are definitly not the parents, would you care to put your money where your mouth is. Penny's Taz isnt related to any of Julies, both my freya and Timber arent closely related to a lot of NI and if you go back far enough (past her grandma), my Inca's lines are different to many others.
  20. Jo_W

Jo_W New Member

Name:
    Jo

It's oh so quiet.......................
  21. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Does it really matter whether this dog has a known pedigree or not? Surely as the NI is a breed in creation then it will make no difference. If the dog is of the required type and is health tested and healthy then to be honest I can't see the problem.
    As a suggestion, why doesn't the relevant registries do what the KC does with dogs of limited or unknown parentage and use the 'asterix' system. This is where dogs with a limited or unknown pedigree have 2 ** anotated to their registration. When they are bred from all their offspring have a single * then their offspring are clear as they now have a 3 generation pedigree?
    My Cooper is a ** and his dam is simply Beverly, although I do have the full pedigree the German KC only recently accepted the colour so only Cooper's parents can be 'confirmed' so to speak.
    Becky