Tips and Information regarding Alaskan Malamutes? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Lee Worrall, May 14, 2018.

1. Lee Worrall

Lee Worrall New Member

Name:
    Lee

Tips and Information regarding Alaskan Malamutes?

Hi there, folks.

For the past couple of weeks I've been wanting to buy a puppy from a breeder and I've been torn between either searching for an Alaskan Malamute or a Samoyed and I've came to the conclusion to search for an Alaskan Malamute. Now before I do get a puppy lined up, I want to do the required research first as well as to prepare my home for a puppy.

So I'm wondering for those who own an Alaskan Malamute if they have any tips and information regarding their pups and where they found and did their research.

Hopefully you'll be able to assist me with this.

Thanks,

Lee
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    CaroleC likes this.
    some of the things i learned in the early days:

I made the mistake of assuming that vigorous exercise was required from day 1....not so....we quickly realised that following the 5 minutes per month formula was best, maybe went slightly longer on occassion but it was a good guide.

They sleep a lot, then a bit more. it surprises me to this day how sedate Everest is as long as she gets her 2 big walks a day she seems very chilled.

They dont eat a lot for their size and after initially feeding a lot for growth its remarkable how little they get by on, i would knock 25% off recommended portion size for your dogs weight.

They are incredibly strong and they do not quit when driven to chase something i was quite surprised by this. This might seem self explanatory but i was taken aback and im a fairly big chap.

They are fairly clean, and behave quite cat like in this respect. to date we have never given her a bath or clipped her nails....only brushed regularly and she is in fine spec.

Everest was a fairly solitary dog for her first 8-10 months, she would not spend a lot of time with us and tended to take herself off to the kitchen and sleep. POssibly due to wanting away from heat/noise of 2 kids but i have heard other dogs are absolute velcro.....changed a bit now but she does still spend a significant portion of time sleeping in the garden in ALL weathers.

You will not understand the volume of fur that they produce during bi-annual shedding until it happens to you. It is something to behold indeed.

They are not stubborn, just confident in their own opinions and fairly smart too. Everest will intentionally misbehave in a manner that tends to get her treats such as jumping on the couch so she gets a reward for getting off when we tell her.

Google Bite Inhibition and follow the advice there, its fantastic.

They will kill and eat things.

Much of the information above will be out there already but i have found that bad points are a bit over exaggerated and the good points downplayed at times. yes they are a challenge but they arent a special case the way some people make out.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg did that to a pigeon that hit one of the overhead power lines. She also did it to a tiny feral kitten that someone threw into my yard.