New Member Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Liz Burrell, Mar 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yes, choke chains are still allowed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
    [Re your comments about me handling large breeds, the first dog I handled in the show ring was a Doberman - I was helping out in show kennels when I was 14. In later life I had a boyfriend who showed and worked GSD's, and in later life a friend showed Bouviers in Breed and Working Trials. Through her I had a close association with her dogs and the breed club for several years. She only used buckled rolled leather collars for working and general purposes.
    In KC obedience your dog is only allowed to compete wearing a flat collar or a half-check, though the rules are slightly different for the various disciplines. For example, a Gundog would traditionally wear a slip for safety reasons. Does the AKC have similar rules regarding what a dog is allowed to wear in competition?
    View attachment 8493 [/QUOTE]

RE: Photo of dog with "prong collar" bloody neck. I laughed. Honestly I mentioned it was a mistreatment of the dog by the owner. From the photo you can obviously tell the collar was on incorrectly. Either error or intentional. The long barb things go UNDER the dogs neck not over the back of the dogs neck.
    I can tell poster has very little to no experience with prong collars. The chain connects to the leash which is the TOP OF THE NECK. So I'm gonna finish my coffee and chuckle on and off all day thanks!
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As already stated. It is clear that there is a difference between the methods that are acceptable in some other countries and the methods practiced by the majority of serious trainers and handlers in the UK.
    The difference has been a surprise to me as positive training methods have their roots in US. Maybe the first to make an impact was the dolphin trainer Karen Pryor, but the, 'clicker' revolution was widely disseminated by a host of other ethical American trainers, such as, Jean Donaldson, Lesley McDevitt and Patricia McConnell, to just name just a few.
    I really don't mind you mocking me for training my dogs just by using the games, rewards and other force-free methods promoted by positive trainers. In fact I am a little bit proud not to know how to use devices like these, 'correctly'. Correctly, they should be thrown in the bin for being unnecessary and outmoded! I feel sad that so many dogs are forced into complying with their trainers wishes, in order to escape pain or discomfort.
    I don't wish to comment any further.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    upload_2024-3-25_14-1-7.png

upload_2024-3-25_14-1-24.png

upload_2024-3-25_14-3-14.png

All done by prong collars.

The simple truth is that if this much damage can be done by a training tool then that training tool shouldn't be used.
  6. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
  7. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
    Additional dangers of retractable leashes include:

• Finger and hand injuries. If the leash accidentally wraps around your index finger as your dog pulls forward, it can not only cut off your circulation but also slice or even sever your finger altogether, depending on your dog’s strength.
    • Danger from unfriendly dogs. If your pup is 15 to 20 feet away from you and an unfriendly dog approaches, it’s extremely difficult to pull them back to safety. In the few seconds it takes to reel in your pup, both dogs could be facing serious injury if a quick-moving fight occurs.
    • A dropped handle can cause a dog to bolt. The big plastic leash handle can make a lot of noise when it hits the ground, which is scary, especially if it’s sliding toward your pup at high-speed. This could startle your dog and cause them to bolt, particularly if you have a noise-sensitive or anxious dog.
    • The locks can malfunction. Locks on retractable leashes are far from foolproof. If they get stuck at the wrong time (or you simply forget to lock the leash), you may be putting your dog, or someone else, at risk.
    • Cuts and friction burns. If your dog suddenly runs toward something interesting and the leash cord is resting against your skin or theirs, it can cause a painful burn.
    • Your dog can suffer whiplash—and you can fall. A retractable leash offers a dog a lot of space to get up to speed. If your dog is running when they suddenly hit the end of the leash, they could be yanked backward. If your dog is big, it’s also possible that you can be yanked forward and off your feet.
    • Long leashes can get tangled. The length of a retractable leash could pose a tripping or choking hazard if it becomes entangled.
    • It can snap back at the person holding the handle. A strong dog could snap the lead, flinging it back toward their handler (and possibly hitting them in the face).
    • It’s harder to supervise dogs when they’re not close. While they’re exploring out front, your dog may encounter something toxic or get into trouble. Retractable leashes make it harder to get up to your pup and help them out.
  8. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
    How do you condition a dog Suki that refuses to take treats? Won't take hot dogs, peanut butter but she loves it, there is no food she considers worth coming to me for. I never ever let her pee and run her back into the house unless it's pouring out. She likes being free outside and there isn't a treat in the world tempting enough to teach her come and I have tried most of them.
    I actually don't like conditioning (clicker) any dog. You get more of a performance than real training so the dog can learn why it's doing what you ask. To me conditing with a clicker is admitting you don't know how to train a dog any other way than using bribes.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes and CaroleC like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I recommend folks use the Ignore function at this point.

This poster is nothing but a troll. They are very good at google searches but appear to lack any desire to engage in a civil discussion and do not appear to have any personal knowledge regarding dog training.

The mods have been notified.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Deleted post.
  12. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Closed pending review
Thread Status: