Any Pharaoh Hound owners on here? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pharaoh Hound' started by Kitkat_, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Bonni likes this.

Any Pharaoh Hound owners on here?

I have decided I want a Pharaoh Hound when I can dedicate my life to my own dog. I have done lots of reading but havent come across too information on their personalities, what I have come across makes them seem like the kind of dog I like, almost like my Billy but more cheeky.

So does anyone own them? If so I would love to know what they are like.

Or do you know any and what were they like?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    I don't know anyone with them sorry" I was under the impression they were aloof rather than cheeky.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    A friend of mine in the US has a Pharaoh Hound and they have both just done their first agility trial!
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    From what I have read, they like to bark a lot, steal food, counter surf, run off to "hunt" things etc.

"This breed should come with a Government Health Warning! He is without doubt the jester of the canine world and needs a lot of patience and understanding. The Pharaoh Hound is a slow maturing breed and he doesn't usually calm down until he's well into the Veteran classes. He is very energetic and requires a lot of exercise he also needs an understanding owner. This breed is highly intelligent and has a keen sense of humour. He is full of mischief and enjoys causing havoc for his human family."

Is it just me or do a lot of breeds get called "the jester of the canine world"? The rest is here
    http://www.pharaohhoundclub.co.uk/page10.html

I would love to do agility or flyball with them (I'm sure I will end up with more that one) and would go to athletic days to do some lure coursing and stuff too :lol:
  6. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I considered one when I needed to change breeds from afghans. They are good jumpers so you would need high fences.

It would probably be worth going to a show to meet some in person as it were and talk to their owners who I am sure would be happy to help.

There is a championship show near Guildford on Friday 6 September, not a huge entry only 11 but would be worth the trip.

Have you looked on the breed club website or looked for breed specific Forums?
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I have emailed a few breeders with some questions but not had any replies yet, have also asked a breeder who is local to me if I could go to meet his dogs one day so hopefully that will be a yes. I will be at Discover Dogs so will get to meet some there and I will probably look into going to shows to meet more. I have read up on their breed club website and found a few other information pages, havent looked for any forums yet but I will do :)
  8. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    It is good you are doing your research.

Have you seen the Cinerco? They look a lot like Pharaoh Hounds but are smaller. I don't know a very much about them but have seen them around.
  9. Kris and Baby Isis

Kris and Baby Isis New Member

Name:
    Kristen
    Bonni and Malka like this.
    I own three and they have three different personalities. My girl is reserved but cheeky. I do agility with her and she amazes everyone with her focus (especially for a Pharaoh Hound), she runs the house and has been a very wonderful Mom to my adopted staffydor. VERY HIGH Prey drive. My boy Ram is nicknamed 'the heathen'....I have spent a small fortune on obedience classes and he has flunked out of all of them. Whenever I take him out people approach me and comment.."You know there are theses classes called obedience classes...you dog could benefit"...Don't get me wrong, he is a lover of life, people and other dogs and thinks of nothing but playing. A real sweetheart. But, I swear he has doggy ADD with the attention span of a gnat. He will steal any food, anywhere, from anyone. Very sensitive, deep down just a real baby. HIGH prey drive, especially infatuated with whitetail deer, but will only go so far if I'm not right behind him. My other boy is Nahktmin, more serious (as his name implies) Nahktmin was a general in Pharaoh Tut's Army)...very militant and likes to push his way around...HATES cats.

The breeders are trying to reduce the prey drive and make the Pharaoh Hounds 'more domesticated'..but all I see are less intelligent dogs.