Bladder Control Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by NDJeepgirl, Dec 21, 2017.

1. NDJeepgirl

NDJeepgirl New Member

Name:
    Kim

Bladder Control

We just recently got a male GSP. We have an indoor kennel in our garage with a doggie door leading to an outdoor kennel. We are unable due to work schedules to go home during the day to let CJ out to potty hence the reason for building the indoor/outdoor setup so he is able to go outside and relieve himself during the day if needed. He will not, he will hold his bladder for the 8 hour day. He is 17 weeks old. Is this really harmful for him? My husband is now off work until January 1st because of the holiday so he will work with him more on it. We put a couple things of his poop in there thinking that would entice him and make him realize he can potty in there and then the inside kennel is his space so he is well away from the pee and poop. I thought about putting snow in part of it so that he thinks it is snow he peeing on instead of cement thinking maybe that will help? I thought about fake grass too? Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Has he learned to cock his leg yet?
    Not a puppy, but my boy has always had his favourite places. In the garden where there is a choice of grass and gravelled areas, he usually chooses to pee against one of two large plastic planters.
    In the paved run, he has two posts, a vertically mounted and weighted stripped tree branch, and a rehabilitated rubber road cone. It might be worth trying one of the little yellow, pheramone infused Pee Posts. I have to admit that I have never used them as I could never see them being tall enough to attract my dog.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I’m wondering Kim if you could soak some of his urine up when he takes a pee at best collect some in a vessel
    If you then pour it in the area you would prefer him to go it may just encourage him to go there again
    I managed this with a house rabbit we used to have, after a few days we had a rabbit going to the toilet in a cat litter tray, it was amusing, but, I thought quite an achievement
    Let me know if it helps
    Philippa