Bloodhound Discussions

Discussion in 'Bloodhound' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Bloodhound

Bloodhound
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Does any dogsey member have a Bloodhound?

I have seen them at Crufts a few times and I am sorely tempted to have one in the future so any advice, info would be appreciated. I have read up on them and spoken to breeders but wondered if anyone owned one.

I would probably look a bit odd walking a Basset and a Bloodhound - little and large, but I just love hounds and they look like they could be breed of dog for me in the future.

Thanks

Sarah
  4. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    i think all hounds are pretty similar habit wise bloodhounds are big dogs and need a fare amount of excercise.like your bassett people assume that they lie around all day sleeping,and the survey said UHH-UHH .we considered a bloodhound ourselves but my wife found them a bit too big and have settled on a treeing walker coonhound .all hounds can be a bit tunnel visioned when something gets their attention but they are also the nicest dogs to have sat by your side.IMHO
  5. Magic

Magic New Member

Name:
    Magic
    I too am wondering if anyone on here has a bloodhound and if anyone has any info on breeders of them in the UK.

We had a bloodhound as a child, an utterly fantastic and funny dog, but very willful and independent, he was also a massive resource guarder from what I remember too :grin:
  6. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I didn't think there were any coonhounds in this country?

I love blood hounds, they seem to be getting rarer and rarer these days. In fact I don't think I have ever seen one in the flesh. I know they are beset by a lot of health problems, similar to the bassets, problems with their ears, eyes, bones and confirmation and I think add giant breed problems to that, heart problems etc. I seem to recall reading an article saying their breed standard was altered recently to try to address some of these problems.. Does anyone have more information?
  7. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    there are 10 walker treeing coonhounds in the uk when we got zara there was 1 pup left he would be about 8 months old now and still there i think,there is also someone in portsmouth who has black&tan coonhounds.
    for all info about bloodhounds go to www.eabh.co.uk they are the east anglian bloodhounds and they still track with them too, if that doesnt help speak to some breeders in the U.S we did that with the coonhound before we got 1 you cant have too much information about any dog you cosider bringing into your home.

people say hounds dont make good pets in built up areas but zara is a great pet she loves a cuddle on the sofa and a walk over the fields,just make sure that you have masrtered the recall before you let them off somewhere unsecured.
  8. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    hello i handle a bloodhound for a friend at bloodhound working trails, and have a few friends with both bassets and bloodhounds together, bloodhounds are what ever you put into them like most breeds, with pilgrim (a 3year old male )we do obedience and agility as well as scent work with him, bloodhounds are like my foxhounds recalls can happen and most at a push will return to the cars or vans after free exercise, but the key is to let them off from day dot.
    and for magpye the k.c reg of bloodhounds is at it's highest now than at any other point, and health problems are at a min, with the biggest worry being bloat. ears need cleaned often as any other breed dose, eyes problem now only tend to occur from hounds that are from puppy farms lines that are over bred, as for the breed standard, the breed clubs were not consulted/very little on the changes to the standard, and for a breed that has been alike for hundards of years the kennel club now have got it into their heads that the breed can not hunt the clean boot unless these changes to make the breed more like pack bloodhound, (light frames more foxhound like to look at, less furnishings(folds of skin) shorter in ear ).
    the main bloodhound club in the uk link is http://www.associationofbloodhoundbreeders.info
    For Magic try ringing Miss joan corner she will be all to happy to chat to you, number can be found on the website, and after a visit with the hounds she would put you intouch with a few breeders, but please stay clear of the Bloodhound adverts on sales websites, alot are not 100%.
  9. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi Mad4FoxHounds - that was really informative. It is good to hear from someone who handles bloodhounds. I do love them, everytime I see them at Crufts I go away thinking I must have one (or maybe two) someday. Thanks for your reply.

Sarah
  10. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    hi sarah no worries, glad you like the breed so much, we have working trails next week we are in scotland, cant wait mad i know but its my holiday twice a year, and in my eyes no better way out in the fresh air and with hound people,
    well i hope to see you around in the future with ya bloodies and bassets,
  11. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Where in Scotland? I have a friend with Deerhounds who might like to go and watch
  12. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    we are in moniaive from monday to thursday they are very welcome to come and watch, if you can read a map you may be asked to walk a line for us,
  13. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    I'll mention it to them. At one time I would have but now I walk with a stick and fall over MUCH too easily:grin:
  14. mad4foxhounds

mad4foxhounds New Member

Name:
    jackie
    shame that well your welcome to come and watch,
  15. Angus and Piper

Angus and Piper New Member

Name:
    Steven
    I have two currently, have owned bloodhounds for last 30 years. Ask me anything lol . They need at least two hours a day of off leash running in a big area . And get ready for the rodeo
  16. Angus and Piper

Angus and Piper New Member

Name:
    Steven
    I have two Bloodhound now , have many over the years. I no several Outstanding Breeders that will ship you one from Texas .
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Steven - this is a very old thread and I do not think any of the above people post on Breedia now.