Breed quality check General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Jess2018, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Jess2018

Jess2018 New Member

Name:
    Jess2018

Breed quality check

I'm looking to buy a french bulldog (see photo) and was told this is a good pedigree puppy. Can you guys help me understand if this is true? This frenchie looks really cute. Just want some second opinions. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Are these pictures from an internet ad? They do look as if they might be. Buyer beware applies.

I would say don't search for a puppy, far better to search for a breeder, and be prepared to wait for the right litter being born. I see you have a photo of the father, but will you be able to see the puppy with its mother? Do be careful because there are so many fraudulent people selling puppies at present.
    Choose a breeder because they are dedicated to the breed. This will usually mean that they are a member of at least one breed club - you can Google for the site of your National Breed Club - and don't be afraid to ask for advice. Do they show their dogs? Not essential, but it does show committment to the breed.
    Is the breeder a member of the Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme? This means that they have been inspected and comply with the requirements of the KC. The paperwork will be accurate, the puppy will be well reared, and they will carry out any health tests that are required under the scheme. There are lots of good breeders who are not members of the ABS, but the scheme does provide reassurance when you are dealing with someone that you don't know. You can check on the KC website for assured breeders within an area, and also for any litters that have been born recently.
    Be aware of any problems that affect the Frenchie, and be prepared to ask the breeder lots of questions. Do not be offended if the breeder asks you lots of questions too. A lot of thought and care goes into breeding the best you can, and you need to be sure that they are going to the best homes you can find. A good breeder will supply you with a puppy pack, and you will usually both sign a sales contract. Buying a puppy should mean that the breeder will be interested in, and will be prepared to give advice on that puppy for the rest of it's life.
    WALK AWAY FROM ANYONE WHO IS PREPARED TO JUST HAND OVER A PUPPY IN EXCHANGE FOR CASH.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    In addition to what Carole said, which I cannot agree to more, there is just one thing I would add - NEVER buy a puppy just because it looks cute.
  5. Jess2018

Jess2018 New Member

Name:
    Jess2018
    Is this considered a champion level french bulldog?
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Not sure what you mean by 'champion level ? are you hoping to show ?
    If he is from a reputable breeder they will advise.
    Are the parents 'health tested' have you seen the litter with the mother ?
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I wish you could pick a prospective show dog from a baby puppy photo - we would all own Champions! I can only repeat, find a breeder that you feel you can trust, and learn all you can from them.
    I don't know where you live, but why not visit a breed club show and talk to the exhibitors - after the judging is usually best. There is really nothing to beat first-hand experience.