Cane Corso health problems Health

Discussion in 'Cane Corso' started by Bulldogs4Life, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Carole and Azz like this.

Cane Corso health problems

I did this for the APBT, so here is one for the Cane Corso. This might not be all the possible diseases but some of the ones reported so they should be taken into consideration.

Allergies
    This can range from mild to severe. There are numerous different possible allergens grass types, straw, pollen, fleas, chemicals and cleaners. Some dogs are sensitive to shampoos. A dog can be allergic to multi things with more allergies developing over time.
    Minor allergies might cause some redness and itching. Severe allergies cause frequent itching & discomfort. This leads to biting and scratching. Causing raw skin, scabs and possible skin infection. Sometimes hives are present during a reaction.

Food allergies can vary in symptoms they might cause hives and even itching but some symptoms are similar to that of other problems such as loose stool or diarrhea, vomiting and weight loss. Just as with other allergies food allergies can be progressive. If your dog is allergic to a couple of foods they could develop new allergies to other foods.

Aortic Stenosis
    This can be serious or even fatal. Coughing, exercise intolerance (passing out could follow too much exertion due to lack of oxygen), shortness of breath in normal activity and worse case scenario death. Surgery can be necessary, though it isn't always successful.

Bloat
    From what I've heard from those who have experienced it bloat is very scary. It primarily afflicts large breeds, especially those who are deep chested though it's possible to see it in other breeds too. It is a quick killer. Bloated stomach, vomiting, shortness of breath and pale gums are signs that you need to get your dog to the vet immediately.
    Exercising after eating, over eating or eating excessively fast (gulping down food) can increase the risk for bloat.

Canine Multi focal Retinopathy (CMR1)
    This disease causes lesions on the eye. Though they do not typically cause blindness and might even go away on their own.

Cherry eye
    This is caused by prolapsed gland of the third eyelid. It is called cherry eye due to the (red) gland sticking out of the eye. This condition is an easy one to fix and not really painful but does require surgery.

Cleft palate (or minor cleft lip)
    This is something puppies are born with. It can be caused by genetics but could also be caused in utero. If the female experiences dehydration, vitamin deficiency, exposure to certain chemicals, ect. Either way cleft palate pups will not be able to suckle properly and therefore they usually will not naturally survive. A cleft lip is a more minor cosmetic deformity and likely to have possibly the same causes as cleft palate- genetics or environment.

Demodex
    There are two types of demodectic mange localized and generalized. It is important to note that pretty much all dogs carry these mange mites but in a healthy dog they cause no disruption.
    Localized Demodex involves a small "local" area of hair loss. This is typically seen on the paws or around the eyes. There is a genetic predisposition to Demodex as it is usually familial though times of heavy stress / other disease could see a reduced immune system leading to the body being unable to deal with the mites. Localized out breaks usually occur in pups and often can clear themselves up.
    Generalized demodex can be much more severe and problematic. This very much seems to be a genetic issue (it possibly has something to do with T cell distribution). This type causes great amount of hair loss all over the body. It is often reoccurring & can be hard to treat effectively because there isn't a cure. The hair loss & mite "infection" can also lead to poor skin condition & secondary skin infection. In females coming into season is often associated with another out break so it is best to spay females as soon as possible in my opinion.

Dilated cardiomyopathy
    This is another serious heart disease causing an enlarged and weakened heart. Eventually leading to heart failure. Exercise intolerance might be seen but there are not always symptoms early on. By the time serious symptoms such as fluid in the lungs appears you are already into heart failure stages. As with Aortic Stenosis a dog could suddenly die.

Ectropion
    The eyelid rolls out ward, giving a "droopy" appearance. It isn't a serious condition for the dog but does require surgery.

Elbow Dysplasia
    This can be a painful condition. Causing lameness, limping or in severity crippling the dog in the front end. In some cases surgery is required to correct the issue.

Entropion
    This is when the eyes roll inward. This is a bit more serious compared to Ectropion. Since the eyelids roll inward the lids & lashes can cause pain & irritation to the eyes. They might also cause corneal ulcers. Surgery is needed to fix this.

Epilepsy
    This is a neurological disorder that causes episodes of seizures. It can be mild or very severe with frequent episodes. It can actually be seen in many breeds though it is more common in some, is certainly seen often enough to concern CC owners. While there is treatment there really isn't a cure. Some people I know have had their dogs seizures controlled in relatively short order for long term but in other cases it has required multiple adjustments in medication.

Hip Dysplasia
    This disease can be serious and debilitating. The rate in Corsi is somewhat depressing. A mild case might not present with much symptoms, especially younger in life. However more severe case can be crippling. Symptoms can include limping, not wanting to jump or bare weight, an odd gate. It can be progressive and accompanied by degenerative joint disease. Surgery is often required.

Hypothyroidism
    Dogs suffering from hypothyroidism can be asymptomatic or have very subtle symptoms. Weight gain, being unable to lose weight, low energy, hair loss can all be symptoms. Hypothyroidism is treated with medication that can help a dog live a normal life. Proper dosage is needed so it might take changes in medication levels but most hypo dogs live long lives.

Cancer can afflict nearly any animal, dogs are clearly no exception. There are both genetic and environmental factors for different types of cancers. One cancer that seems to be a problem in large breeds is Osteosarcoma. This is a serious bone cancer. It can be deadly, even with treatment many dogs only have an extended life, they are not fully cured. Symptoms include lameness and pain, lack of energy, weight loss and loss of appetite. There could be physical swelling at the site of affliction.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Bloat, Cherry eye, Demodex, Elbow Dysplasia, Hip Dysplasia
    Are really the big ones for this breed and very common.
    Females also seem to have a higher rates of Pyometra, this is not higher in the first few heat cycles but after 2 years of age why most advise making sure to spay a female that is not to be bred.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    My female is 8yrs old no pyo (knock on wood)
    I've heard it being higher in GSDs. I cant confirm that just what I heard.
  5. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Very interesting information, although I doubt whether I'll ever own a Cane Corso! What I didn't realise was that CC's are also prone to entropion,which is a common problem with Shar-Pei.

I thought it might be worth pointing out that certainly with Pei there are two forms of entropion. The first is genetic and normally occurs within the first few months of the puppy's life. Georgina was only 4 months old when she developed severe entropion which caused ulcerated cornea. The second, Spastic Entropion, can occur at any time in the dog's life and might or might not be genetic. My first Pei, M'boi developed spastic entropion at 18 months old due we think to all the dust in the air from the fields at the back of my house being ploughed. In her case, because it was caught quickly all that was necessary was a simple operation to prevent her eyelashes from causing irritation to her cornea.

I'd advise any owner of a susceptible breed to regularly check their dog's eyes particularly if they start to weep as it's very important to catch it early before too much damage is done to the eyes.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Yes Entropion is more common in mastiff breeds, probably hounds too. As well as Ectropion. Any breed where they have wrinkles/excessive skin. I could see how it could be an issue in Shar Pei.

Thanks for adding that bit of knowledge on the condition. It seems (at least from my observation) that most CC develop Entropion as pups.

I forgot one to mention one serious issue

Wobblers
    Wobbler syndrome is a spinal disease. It can be very debilitating and costly. Dogs will wobblers "wobble" obviously, they also present will weakness, paralysis, drag their feet or knuckle over and muscle loss. It is painful to the dog with a high concentration of neck pain.
    Surgery can often be needed to correct cause of wobblers, in some dogs it can help a lot but other cases it only stops the progression but the dog will have issues for a lifetime.
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Entropion I feel they bring from the Neo's they where created from and I would disagree on most mastiff breeds having it.

Wobblers while seen a lot in Danes, is pretty rare in the rest of the mastiff family.

While yes there is a chance for both in all mastiff breeds, Entropion is mainly Neo's, Fila's, and CC's. Neo and CC being the biggest 2. Which is still low for all 3.

Wobblers is so low in CC's I'm not sure if I would have listed it.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Yeah its a big problem in Neo must be all that skin! It's disgusting how they have bred them now. I think it's the biggest concern with the dogs of excessive skin but Presa Canario have pretty much the same health concerns as Cane Corso which includes Entropion.

As for wobblers, it's something to take into consideration when getting a CC. Even if it isn't very common like HD you should still be aware of it & the symptoms. I'm not sure of the rate but I don't know very many CC but know 2 with that issue. It was also something that really concerned me getting a Boerboel. It's often enough I know about Boerboel with it that I kept it in mind. Hips were my biggest concern though for either breed.
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Will have to asked a few people I know next month, that I will see that the ICCF show.
    There having there super show the 25 and 26th of April and as it's being held 40 mins from my house plan on going both days.
  10. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Wish I was going but unable to. You going to post up pics? I'd really enjoy to see.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If you are going to quote Google or whatever, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

I am a member of a canine epilepsy list and there is NOT ONE Cane Corso on that list.
  12. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Yep will have the camera fully charged for it. The ICCF aint my favorite body, but will be one of the major shows this year, shocked there holding it in Ohio. Also joining to the 68th annual MCOA show in Wilmington Ohio June 2-7.
    Searching elsewhere I see 1 EM's, 1 DDB, and 2 CC with canine epilepsy in the last 2 years, so while it could happen in the breed, that is really rare. All dogs where between 1 1/2 years and 2 1/5 years when they where diagnosed. Looks like phenobarbital is the go to drug.
  13. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I'm "quoting" a known, recognized disease in my breed. Therefore my facts are straight. Perhaps you should take your own advise to find facts.

If only 1% of the breed has epilepsy than nearly 20% of CC would be carriers and things could become problematic quickly depending what dogs get bred. That's if it is only a simple recessive. A lot of research is pointing to it being polygenic in various breeds so it is harder to factor in how many are carrying the genes needed.

What is "canine epilepsy list"? It is supposed to be a master list of all breeds with Epilepsy? You might want to find a different source as that one doesn't appear to be completely accurate.

This is here to be informative. I did not list rate of the diseases. As stated I also did one for the APBT, would you care to critic that too? I can tell you liver shunt sure isn't common at all.

Wonderful. Looking forward to the pics.

Thank you for the added info. I know of a few CC suffering epilepsy as well there was (probably still is) a "breeder" not to far from me producing epileptic dogs and cardiac issues among other problems. They were also selling a couple adult dogs few years back including a male producing problems. They were not selling him on pet contract or anything but as an intact dog. They've been breeding 15yrs I know of as they were breeding when my friend got her CC. They are nothing but a byb though, they clearly only care about money!

My other friends EM was diagnosed with epilepsy last year she was about year and a half. She will be 2 soon. Right now everything is under control. Though they were saying that they were seeing a change in her energy level & she seemed just not herself as much even though the meds did successfully control the seizures.

I've known different breeds and even MIXES to have epilepsy. It is more common in some breeds and rarely seen in others. It's something to be aware of if you own a dog though.

Considering the breeds used to create the modern CC there are a number of diseases to be aware of. There are several breeds in the lineage. Then there is the fact that some imports have very short pedigrees not much to research. Some people don't even try. Good breeders do their best to obtain & produce healthy dogs but there are novelty owners either ignorant or don't care. In time more diseases could be seen or a higher rate, which would be unfortunate.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do not DARE tell me that I know nothing about canine epilepsy. "The List" is what we, WHO HAVE EPILEPTIC DOGS call the website of which we are members.

It is NOT a "list" of epileptic dogs.

And there is not one owner of an epileptic CC who is a member of the website.

So please do not tell me about canine epilepsy.

I LIVE WITH IT 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK.
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I never told you that you "know nothing about canine epilepsy"

You said to me "GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT"
    When I did post something factual and you had no reason to be rude.
    Considering your response I don't think you even read my post first post, must have just saw the word epilepsy, since my post was clearly NOT quoted from google.

No CC owners are in your online group that means that CCs never have epilepsy? Wrong. Not everyone has Internet or joins groups if they do. While vets are not perfect I'm sure that these epilepsy diagnosis in CC are correct. Epilepsy is seen in many breeds and even mixes, because the genes span breeds just like HD & numerous others. Vets diagnose it & breeders recognize this problem that you are trying to say doesn't exist in our breed.

I'm not telling YOU about canine epilepsy. I posted on an online community for everyone. I never singled you out or made this thread to tell you anything. While I've never experienced it, I've friends with epileptic dogs so I know it can be trying but that doesn't make one an authority on which breeds do or do not have epilepsy. I'm not sure why it is so important for you to have it believed that epilepsy isn't in CC.

I never stated anything you are accusing me of although I misunderstood what the Canine Epilepsy List is. I know my friends are not on that list, not every person with an epileptic dog is on that list.

If nothing is done to try and control it in CC (like pretend it doesn't exist) then eventually it can become more common & you might get to "meet" the owners on the List. That'd seem like a sad day as I'm glad it is uncommon in CC.
  16. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I made the health issue threads to give people an idea of potential breed specific health problem. Honestly trying to share information is all. I hope that no owners who read this will need to be concerned with it. In a perfect world no owners would ever have to be concerned with any health issue.

About 15yrs ago I was helping a friend research Cane Corso and trying to help them find a breeder to get a puppy from. After doing so they still went to a byb located not too far from us. Maybe because that was easier, I don't know. 10yrs or so ago I started to really research them hard. Since I wanted a CC myself. I also corresponded with several breeders and visited some breeders too.

I found some major concerns to be hip dysplasia, cardiac problems and epilepsy. These were serious and not something I ever wanted to experience.

I had to find my old "notes" (electronic format) but there are a few kennels that have produced epilepsy and also a few specific dogs known to produce it so if you would have a dog who is their descendant (doesn't matter the kennel your dog came from) it could be a concern.

While I'm not going to put these individuals out there listing every kennel or dog I will mention one kennel. As they themselves acknowledge producing it. They stopped selling pups and totally revamped their breeding program to eliminate epileptic dogs. This is Rustic Kennels. They would probably be one to have good knowledge on this problem and some of the source dogs to produce it. More info than I myself could provide.

I had come across this more recently
    http://www.sadb.org/Epilepsy
    This is a French DDB organization working to find genes within their breed but it does make mention to molosser breeds including the Cane Corso & Dogo Argentino, due to relation it is possible the same genes. I'm sure in time as a test hopefully develops they can also check for use in E. Mastiff, Boerboel (I know some research is being done with them already too), Presa Canario, Central Asian Shepherd, Neopolitan Mastiff and any other related breeds suffering from this horrible disease.
    One of the researchers working on this is from Antagene Lab (located in France), they have pioneered tests including the Neonatal Cerebellar Ataxia which is found in the AmStaff. Optigen actually sends the genetic test sample for NCL-A to Antigene. Let's hope they can create one for epilepsy as well. ☺

Wanted to add. I only learned about hypothyroidism after getting my CC. While this isn't usually serious in that it is controlled with meds leading to a usually normal life it can become epidemic within a breed if breeders are not careful.

The Cane Corso is a fairly young breed so more health issues could be lurking in the gene pool to be seen intime.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Bulldogs4Life - I apologise for my rudeness - please forgive me. I know I was rude and I would take it back if I could.

My girl has gone to The Bridge. Well, if you believe there is such a place. I guess it is easier to say that than to say she is dead.

Please forgive my rudeness.
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    It is okay. I was just very surprised since posting here most member have been great yourself included ☺

I'm not for sure but I think animals do have spirits if you ask me. Losing them is hard and I know you are going through something very painful. I wish you healing for your heartache.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you.
  20. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Ezee :) thank you for an interesting read, I know very little about the breed ...