CH FT CH on pedigree Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by Baileys Blind, May 7, 2012.

1. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    Crikey, you are right! But I only found the page when I googled 'Felstead forced retrieve'. The article is clearly written by an American trainer judging by some of the expressions. I have never heard of any trainer in this country using that method and i hope i never will in the future.
    Like you, I can't understand why Felstead would have it on their website.:017:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    It's odd isn't it. Totally agree, I really hope no one in the UK is practicing this method :-(
  4. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    :? I was amazed when I was offered the chance to look at a litter of Golden Retriever puppies that the breeder, an experienced show exhibitor, apparently didn't know the difference between Full Champion and Dual Champion!

She pointed out a few Ch. dogs on the pedigree and said, "look - these are dual champions". I said surely if it just says Ch on a gundog's pedigree, it means the dog / bitch is a show champion and has also passed some kind of basic test to show he/she has the attributes to perform the basics of it's breed's work?

I thought dogs that had only qualified as Champs in the show ring (not that this isn't a worthy achievement in itself and lots of hard work and commitment - I'm not knocking it) could call themselves ShCh.

Dogs that were Field Trial champions got FtCh and dogs that had won Field Trials got FTW (Field Trial Winner)

Finally, dogs that had qualified as show champions and also passed a gundog working test (not a competition) to prove they had the instinct to work as a gundog could drop the Sh bit and become Ch (i.e. a 'Full Champion') .....which is great, but by no means anything like as impressive a feat as being a show and a field trial champion - which would be a ShCh, FtCh - i.e. a Dual Champion....

She wasn't too pleased an insited they were authentic 'Dual Champions' - was she just trying it on?!