Collie - working, show, pet etc Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by CharleyMaddison, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CharleyMaddison

CharleyMaddison New Member

Name:
    Kirsty

Collie - working, show, pet etc

I would like to get a Border Collie for my next dog. I think they are enchanting and I can't help being amazed by them every time I see one. I'm doing my research on the breed even though it will be years before I'm ready as I have two little monsters I have to turn into model dog citizens yet! Im hoping some collie savy people can give their opinions.

When I get the dog my requirements would be that it is mainly going to be a pet, but will do obedience training and agility once or twice a week and may compete if good enough. However it is important to me that the dog has the right temprement to be trained as a PAT dog, and go into hospitals etc. So people and child friendly is important. It will also spend a lot of time being driven around in a special dog adapted van. My GSD loves this and its a trait the collie will need too. My other requirement and I know im asking a lot but is for it to be dog friendly as I want to enjoy walks again!

Currently got two girls I know if I had one girl I would be advised to get a boy, but with two girls I dont know if a boy or a girl would be a better fit!

I would like to get a rescue and this might be a stupid question but would it be possible to tell whether the dog was working or mainly show or pet lines by looking at it? And what type do you think would be more suited to what I would want from the dog (i.e working/sport/show/pet etc). If you wanted a dog for these reasons would you go for a rescue thats older and is known to have these qualities or a young pup you can train and bring up to bring out the qualities you would want? And if a pup would you go for a rescue pup or go to a trusted breeder who produces dogs such a temprement.

And can you tell me what the main personality differences would be generally between working and show. I usually prefer working breeds of dog but wondered if a show/pet line collie would be more suitable for the people skills a PAT dog needs and a working collie might be more suited to a more energetic job rather than a hearts and minds job??

Opinions an advise welcome please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mrphilip

mrphilip New Member

Name:
    Michael
    We are currently owners of two Border Collie dogs. We had another previously.

Border Collies are not all the same.Our first collie, Sam, was dream of a dog. The trainer at the class my OH took him to wanted to adopt him - as he would do anything.

Our next one had a champion sheepdog as a father and an agility champion for his mother. He took over year to train. Be prepared to spend hours - and I mean hours - trying to recall him. He took us for his flock - and circled us anticlockwise for hours as a sheepdog will never enter his flock.

After about two years training he is now registered therapy dog. Collies need a job to do.

We got our second collie as a friend of ours who was animal behaviorist realised that Dale was also lonely and needed a friend. We got Chip.

Chip is a couple of years younger - has a fixation over balls - but can be very nervous with those whom he does not know.

Summing up - we love our collies - but every one is different- all require a job to do or they get bored.

Hope that gives some insight into a BC owners life.

As one book on BCs put it. Make sure that the most intelligent member of the family is NOT your dog.