Digestive Issues?? Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Lange 2365, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Lange 2365

Lange 2365 New Member

Name:
    Kim

Digestive Issues??

This is my first GSP puppy. He is 7 months - As usual VERY ACTIVE - the poor thing gets so excited playing he stops to have a bowel movement at least 6 or 7 times during a play session of 1/2 hour. I feel so sorry for him. Is this an issue anyone else has dealt with? My friend suggested peppermint oil tablets. Any help would be appreciated. I can take him to the vet - but - it does not seem vet worthy at this point.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Consistency of the stool? Amount? Doesn't seem normal to me, and I'd definitely be taking him to the vet.

Definitely would NOT give peppermint oil tablets!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I do not know anything about GSP puppies but what I do know is that it is not normal for him to have a bowel movement at least 6 or 7 times during just a half hour play session.

What are you feeding him on? Peppermint oil tablets will not help such excessive poos. Can you please take him to your vet to check if he has bowel problems? He could have problems that peppermint oil tablets/softgels will not help as they are usually sold OTC for minor human tummy upsets. Not for excessive bowel movements.

Please take your puppy to his vet to get him checked out - and if possible take a stool sample with you.

I hope your puppy will be fine but he really does need to be seen by a vet to be diagnosed.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree, this is not normal. Most likely this has a dietary cause, but there is always the possibility of a physical problem. I agree with Malka, do not give any medication, see the vet, and take a sample with you.