Dog collars General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Apr 16, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Dog collars

I don't have fence or gates on my front garden/drive as normally there are 4 vehicles are parked on drive.
    Anyway yesterday I was outside in my front garden with my 6 dogs, they were sunbathing while I was jet washing the bins, when I looked up I saw the new dog warden van parked across the road, never really took much notice of the 2 dog wardens in it, until they walked across road to me, then my 6 JRT's ran to edge of my garden/drive & stood snarling at the 2 dog wardens, I called all 6 dogs back told them to wait my front door, then went to see what the dog wardens wanted.
    They told me I was breaking the law by having my dogs outside without collar with id tags on, I told them my dogs were not on the street but in my garden & that my dogs never wear collars at all & when going walkies they wear harnesses.
    The dog wardens were very polite & advised me to put a collar with id tag on next time my dogs are outside in front garden or going walkies, which I agreed to do so after I had finished jet washing the bins I popped into town went to the 99p shop brought 3 pink collars & 3 blue collars with I'm so cute written on them & 6 bone shape id disc's they were in packs of two's so I brought pack of purple, pack of green & pack of blue disc's, then went to the dog wardens office at council house & asked them if they could engrave my dog disc's with "I'm chipped" on one side & my mobile number on other side, they had engraved them free of charge & put them on the collars for me & then they gave me £20 to help cover the cost of the collars/id tags as I am registered disabled.
    Thanks to my local council I am now £11.09p better off because the total amount I paid for the 6 collars & 6 disc was £8.91p :005: :081: :041: :101:

K9 & Skye's collars with id tags
    k9.37.JPG

K9 wearing his collar with id tag
    k9.36.JPG

Skye wearing her collar with id tag
    k9.35.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Very nice. Phoebe wears a collar when out but not at home so if she escaped she wouldnt have it on. I dont have tags on it though. Will have to get some i suppose although i walk her early and late so doubt i be bimping in to the warden.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    They look really good Tina :023:

I bet they wish they hadn't 'told you off' now, since they ended up paying for it :lol:
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Mine have collars and tags on 24/7 and I've never seen a dog warden in the 16 years I've lived here. I'm not convinced they could do anything about them being in your front garden without collars and tags though as it's private property.
  6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    6JRT's likes this.
    Wow. I've never heard of anyone being told to put collars on their dogs. It's one of those things you always wonder how it's policed. Just goes to show that you can be caught out when you least expect it. My Missy wears her collar at all times...although right now she has no ID tag on this current collar ( I mix and match her collars throughout the year :D ) and up until recently I was guilty of not having a collar on Ty at all! Which is kind of stupid of me when you think about it considering he's not chipped either. But he is back to wearing one the past few months.

Love your collars! Even better you saved money too :)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's likes this.
    Dont know when i last saw a dog warden either,the law states public places , so ones front garden could be in effect public as postman ect: are permitted to have access?
    Well done Tina, you got a bargain x
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    We see more dog wardens then CPO's here, there are always 2/3 on every park, then there's the mobile dog wardens in vans think 12 vans, then there's the 14 foot patrol wardens, they very good well I think they are, as they will radio in dog loose on street & the mobile vans will turn up & catch the dog roaming the street on its own.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    I couldn't believe it myself either, I at to fill 6 forms in with my name dogs name, sex of dog, neutered or not whether mircochipped & chip number if known (I still had the hooligans vet cards in bag, from their last visit) so was able to write number down, when I gave them the forms back, they handed me the discs along with £20 which they said was to help towards the cost of collars/id tags because I am registered disabled, didn't have heart to tell them only cost me £8.91:p
  10. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    6JRT's likes this.
    Beautiful collars on beautiful dogs :007:
    Your council sounds like a good one too :038:
  11. butterfly1979

butterfly1979 New Member

Name:
    sheila

Helloo 6JR's,

I've recently found an interesting website about dog collars. It's a forum and I do think this information could be useful to you http://www.petcollars.net/wall/leather-dog-collars/
    :)
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That site [which has a WOT warning on it as being unsafe] is promoting leather collars and I would never put a leather collar on a small dog. I am not even very keen on the woven nylon ones but that is my opinion and my dog only wears a collar for her tags. She also wears it 24/7, as when she is on her leash or tether they are clipped to her harness. Her collar is also a semi-slip one so she cannot strangle herself on it.

I also use wide, soft padded collars and harnesses [she has two sets for when one set is being washed] so that they will not chafe.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    lm curious as to why you would never use a 'leather collar' on small dog.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Personal preference. Many years ago when I owned and bred Griffons, which are a toy breed, I had to use leather collars and harnesses on them as that was all there was in those days, but now I prefer wide soft padded collars and harnesses for Pereg, who although not exactly small is still on the smaller side of small/medium. My much missed Little One, who only weighed ~5kb was OK wearing a soft woven collar and harness but they would not be suitable for Pereg, hence the wide padded ones she wears.

You cannot see the collar on her in my avatar, just her harness, but you can see how wide they are compared with normal ones, and that width in leather would chafe her. You can see how wide they are here:

[​IMG]
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I only had collars to put the dogs id tags on to comply with the law, I just wanted cheap thin ones, as they all wear harnesses when going walkies.
    My dogs don't wear their collars/harnesses unless they are going walkies, they are "naked" during the day/night.
  16. butterfly1979

butterfly1979 New Member

Name:
    sheila
    hi all!
    I've recently found an funny pet website which is specialize in pet collars http://www.petcollars.net/wall/pet-collars/
    It's likely to be useful for us! take a look. It looks quite funny and easy to get information
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    When I was breed showing I used only half check collars, which slipped nicely over their large-ish heads, (Golden Retrievers, Cavaliers, and Lowchen), didn't throttle, and slipped down onto the shoulder for an elegant free stand. When I took up obedience and trials, I was tactfully guided away from these, and now only use flat or rolled leather buckle collars. I'm not over keen on nylon - it wouldn't break if there ever was an emergency hang up, such as on a jump - but really it's because I prefer the traditional look.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tina - Did your Ziva model for the 'No Shock Collars' photo?
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Not sure they all do lots of modelling jobs, I just make sure they not going to be hurt or stressed. x