Feeling relieved and grateful. General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by CaroleC, Sep 7, 2017.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Feeling relieved and grateful.

After trawling the net in a vain search for information, I have just received a message from my step brother, who lives and works on the tiny island of Saba, near St. Martin in the Dutch Antilles. It is great to know that he is safe, - the island is in a mess, but no lives have been lost. Another hurricane is due on Saturday, these Caribbean islanders are paying a heavy price for their tropical island paradise.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC likes this.
    Wow, what a horrendous ordeal for you and your family
    Great that heard some positive news. It's so difficult to watch it on the news and absorb that it is real
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - I am so glad to hear that you have heard that your step-brother is safe and that he stays safe from the hurricane due tomorrow. Such a terrible time for the Caribbean islanders and so worrisome for everyone who has family in the Caribbean and cannot contact them.

It is bad enough just reading about it and seeing pictures in the media without having the worry of family you cannot contact.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It has been frustrating as there are constant updates on the news about the larger islands, but no-one mentions the tiny islands. Saba is only five square miles, most of a which is a volcano. Sites like AccuWeather were only showing Sunny, 30° when I checked. However, there have been complaints to the US media about the lack of information about smaller settlements, and a Facebook site has appeared today which allows individuals to post themselves as being safe. Here's hoping they will also be able to log in again tomorrow.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I believe that hurricane Jose passed by Saba with no more force than a 'normal' tropical storm. The islanders are now busy tidying up the damage left by Irma. I really must stop moaning about the British weather!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    And I must stop moaning about the Israeli weather. Thank you for reminding me Carole.
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Just been speaking to my cousin - they were due to fly out to Florida tomorrow (they have a villa there). Needless to say, everything has been cancelled! They just have to hope it's still standing when they finally get there.

My son is in Mexico at the moment, but luckily nowhere near the area hit by the earthquake.

And it's wet and windy and wintry here but like Carole and Malka, I will not complain!
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    @Malka You are quite entitled to moan about those temperatures. I would find them life threatening.
  11. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello Carole,
    Glad your step-brother is safe. I worried for you as I watched the news. ;)
    Jane
    xx
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Glad your step-brother is safe, my heart goes out to those involved.