Finally bought her home yesterday.. General Chat

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by Witm8, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Witm8

Witm8 New Member

Name:
    Tim
    GsdSlave, Janet and Malka like this.

Finally bought her home yesterday..

The title says it all really, now back to raising a puppy, I’d forgotten how much ‘fun’ this is . Crate training at the moment, wowzers.

Anyway, I’ll keep this thread updated in case anyone is interested.

69DF774E-A0EF-48C9-B84F-D97313FA01DE.jpeg 53B9E22B-D6F5-4829-B800-3FC99AE3C755.jpeg 9C37C3CC-A536-4020-A505-9837AA99F9F9.jpeg B209F90A-CD78-488A-A83F-63D78485C384.jpeg

And she already has that wonderful ridgeback trait of sleeping and owning the sofa

47781569-3355-47FC-B8C4-99AE6F0EDFCF.jpeg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    What a little beauty. Yes, please keep us up-dated on her progress.
  4. TruckeeCA

TruckeeCA New Member

Name:
    Matt
    Congrats! A few months of puppy hell (hide your shoes!!!) then years of happiness!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome little one. She is very cute, and looks a well reared puppy. Does she have a name yet?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a beauty! And a very special girl as she has that little white mark on her chin. :007:
  7. Witm8

Witm8 New Member

Name:
    Tim
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention her name :rolleyes: .... We've called her Lyla

She's absolutely barmy but adorable at the same time. She's nailed house training much better than I thought she would, she's only had 2 accidents and one of those was totally my fault as we had people around so I completely lost track of time. Every hour (or hour and a half depending on what she's doing) I'll take her out, off she trots to the same place, goes to the toilet, gets rewarded and then goes back in again. I missed a poo this morning (well, I saw her do it, and I had to take my eyes off it for a second whilst I grabbed a poo bag, then I couldn't find it again as it was camouflaged in the leaves). I'll find it tonight.

Crate training is well underway - during the day she's fine, she goes in there completely of her own will and naps. Last night we put her down at 11:00, she woke up at 03:00, went outside, then back in her crate at 03:30 until 06:30 which hopefully wasn't just luck.

It's nice to come to work for a break though, but I'm getting constant updates from the wife so I'm not far away from the action.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lyla is just too special - a really special bubba!

Please keep the photographs coming Tim and let us know how that gorgeous pup is getting on.

What are you feeding her?
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Tim, Lyla looks adorable
    It sounds you have got attitude towards training which helps her to be a good girl
    Keep us posted with stories and pictures, not only the good stuff either. Let us know when things are going wrong, firstly because there are a lot of people on this site with great advice to help you and secondly just to let me know it’s not just me when things aren’t going to plan, it will make me feel better
    Philippa
  10. WowLovely88

WowLovely88 New Member

Name:
    Samantha
    Beautiful!
  11. Witm8

Witm8 New Member

Name:
    Tim
    We're taking a completely different route with Lyla - We're going feeding raw and chemical free. We're taking this opertunity to take a look at our own well being and take the 'journey' together.

We're feeding a product called Nutriment http://www.nutriment.co/ - initially because that's what the breeder always feeds her dogs, and this is what Lyla was raised on. It's all human grade meat and bone, mail order and delivered frozen, and it totally natural. We're planning on adding chicken wings/carcasses raw (when she's a bit older), sardines, liver, tripe, heart etc. Tonight we're going to put a raw egg in (incl. the shell for calcium) and see how she tackles that. We're going to be using Nutriment as a base and working around that.

The same natural / chemical free goes for other areas: For worming and vaccination we are treating homoepathically for Hardpad, Distemper, Parvo, Lepto, Hepatitis, and Kennel Cough via drops that are dropped into the side of the mouth. 2 drops once a week for six more weeks (to 14wks) then two drops fortnightly for life. Personally I like this as pup will have no harsh chemicals injected into their bodies.

Same goes for other internal and external parasites - We're using DE (Diatomaceous Earth) http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/benefits-diatomaceous-earth/

I'll update agin, but I'm completely knackered today - I was on 'night shift' for crate training yesterday. Bed at 10:30, then like clockwork every two hours, she was up and wanting to go to the loo. Needless to say, it's been a long night :)
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    As I am a raw feeder - my bubba having hers either frozen [chicken wings/chunks of turkey necks/whole ungutted large sardines for her breakfast although the meat and vegetables are defrosted for her evening meal] - human food bought fresh, the same as I eat although I cook mine - and it is frequently a bit time-consuming when I do not feel good - I do not think I could change to dog food now.

Not that I have anything against commercial dog food, it is just what I have been doing since maybe mid 2011 when I first learned about raw feeding.