Heat + excessive drinking = bloat! Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Jun 25, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Heat + excessive drinking = bloat!

Phoebe only seams happy when my stress levels are high. As its hot shes drinking loads but as she gulps water rather than laps it up i think shes taking in a lot of air aswell. The past 2 nights shes bloated, she then cries and moo's and paces around and i have to force infacol in to her and go sit in the carpark incase we get an explosion out of one end or the other rubbing and patting her bloated tummy.

As she bloated and had a torsion a few years a go i know she cant have another torsion as her stomach is stapled to her ribs but it still really worries me. Weve come inside now and she has another 20 mins before its vets for a tube down her throat. I dont know why this come in stages, we can go months without an episode and then ill have weeks of it.

Should i limit her water intake as in give it her a glass at a time not actually limit how much she has just how much she can have in one go
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I would just cover bottom of dish with water so Phoebe as to lap up the water & top up once she as lapped up the water.
    Or put ball in this will slow her down when drinking.
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Dont really have any balls, Phoebe is not a ball dog. Will just leave a few inch or so in her bucket and keep topping it up.

the air is green here now as all the wind is on its way out :078:
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Found this not sure if its ideal for Phoebe or not
    dogit2.jpg
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    I bought her a fancy bowl before and she killed it so wont be trusting her with something that price. Just going to keep levels low in her bucket as im home with her more or less all the time
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I put ice cubes (made from yogurt pots) in my dogs water bowls, during the hot weather they lick them until they dissolve in the water.
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Phoebe loves ice. Shes muching a home made ice lolly now.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Have you tried gravy ice lollies - all my unused gravy (not onion flavour) I put in washed out yogurt pots & are frozen - I then give them outside as bit messy when they start melting. :).
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    At one time it was believed that raised bowls would help prevent bloat, but later studies seem to think they could actually attribute to it.
    Putting a small amount of water in their dish is fine if your always around to top it up, otherwise the dog could be without water for periods of time.
    A friend of mine uses a floater bowl , even though the bowl may be full, it only allows small amounts of water into the dish at a time .or
    You could try adding some floating balls to her dish which should help slow her down.
  11. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Bloating and gas can be down to undigested food.

I wonder if her food is not agreeing with her?
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    oh good point azz, ive been adding the meat that matches her food for past week, and the past 2 nights its been the turkey one, wonder if its that. We have a different flavour tonight so will see what happens. The past 2 nights are first nights weve used the turkey meat