Help please Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Jcreech, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jcreech

Jcreech New Member

Name:
    Marley

Help please

Hello our family need your help we have a 2.5 year old Gap she was fine at first but the last year or so she has really bad separation anxiety. She will be fine one moment then off for the wall the next. When a snow plow truck comes by forget it she tries to get behind the furniture also we have a gate at the top of the stairs she tries to jump that we love her to death we've tried everything she's been on Prozac we try melatonin calming sprays nothing seems to work we are going to be surrendering her to a GSP rescue. This is my last ditch effort has this happened to anybody else they can give us some help this is very sad for our family we don't want to give her up but we also don't want to be selfish to her needs thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jcreech likes this.
    Do you have any idea what triggered this in the first place? Only you say she was fine at first. Has she been spayed, and if so was this before the problem started?

It must be distressing for you to surrender her to a GSP rescue, but something is distressing her and if you cannot find what it is, can you be sure a GSP rescue can?

I honestly do not know what I would do in your situation, but whatever you do, I hope your girl will get over her problems, and I am sorry for you and your family.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Jcreech like this.
    I suggest you get professional help from a recommended behaviorist.
    There isn’t a magical cure but separation anxiety can be managed, but it takes time and patience, medication may help but will not cure the problem.
    Should you decide to hand her into a rescue knowing everything has been tried, be sure to tell them her problems as it’s not fair on an unsuspecting adopter.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    Separation anxiety should only manifest when she is left alone. There seems to be more than that going on here, as she seems to have the same degree of fear when you are present. Firstly, I would ask your vet to carry out a full physical examination, which includes her eyesight and hearing. If all is well there, ask him to be referred to a behaviourist who is qualified to use drug therapy as part of the treatment plan. I am afraid that there will not be a quick fix.
    Did you get to see her parents when you bought her, and did they have sound Gundog temperaments? Has the breeder or the breed club been able to offer any insight? I hope you can find a way to help her. Good luck.
  6. Jcreech

Jcreech New Member

Name:
    Marley
    Thank you it's our granddog so I never saw the parents my daughter brought the dog home thank you for your time