Help Health

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Louise armstrong, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Louise armstrong

Louise armstrong New Member

Name:
    Loucoco555

Help

Advice needed please. I have a litter of puppies who were all healthy a up in till the age of 5 6 weeks. I have about 4 that have a snorting noise that i can only describe as pig noises. I had them at the vets for their first injection and she listen to their chests and said all sounds normal but if they start to act unnormal then we can administer antibiotics. There not unwell in themselves they run around like crazy. I just dont no why this snorting has come about and why they are doing it. It seems worst after they have eaten. Any help or advice or anyone whos had the same problem ? Before i book them back in tomorrow.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Brachycephalic syndrome?
    Stenoic nares and elogated soft palettes... generally just deformed heads... can cause breathing difficulties leading to the snorting and grunting.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Elongated soft palette was my guess too. Did your vet check for this? Does this sound like what is usually called reverse sneezing - there are videos of this on Youtube.
  5. Louise armstrong

Name:
    Loucoco555
    If they had that surely they would do it from birth they havent .... theyve only just started doing. And YES it sounds exactly like that revease sneeze !!! So what do you guys reckon about vets again she wanted to give me antibiotics for them but didnt exactly no what was wrong with them. My big boy who firstly started off with this has already had one weeks worth and its made no difference at all he still does it. If you guys where me what would you do. Obviously i want healthy puppies to go to their new homes i dont want worried owners.

Thank you
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am presuming that you do not have a mentor in the breed. If either your bitch's breeder, or the stud dog owner, has experience in rearing litters of Frenchie puppies , they may be able to give you some first hand advice. Otherwise, you really have no alternative but to go back to the vet. If you continue to be worried, the breed health co-ordinator for your National French Bulldog Club might be the best person to get in touch with.

Afterthought.
    I'm sure that a lot of snorting just goes with belonging to a flat faced breed. However, you say the puppies were OK till 4 - 5 weeks, so is there any chance that this could have been exacerbated by an allergen? Have they started playing in dust outside? Have you used some different cleaning materials?
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Not necessarily; puppies bodies go through a huge amount of change and development in the early weeks. It may be that they've reached a point now where it has become a noticeable issue.
    IF it is something conformation related, antibiotics will do absolutely nothing.

Nobody here will be able to say with any certainty what is wrong or what to do; even if any of us where vets, we can't physically examine the pups. If you arent happy with what the vet has said, go for a second opinion :)

Out of curiosity, do you have any photos of pups or parents?
  8. Louise armstrong

Name:
    Loucoco555
    Vets it is i have them booked in for quata to 6 hopefully i have an answer then and hopefully they dont have anything too sinister. To be honest carole they have been outside i have a litter of 8 so find it easier to put them out in a puppy pen outside whist feeding so i can clean the utility room out so possibly dust or dirt might have irritated them im hoping its something simple as this but guess i will have an answer tonight i will post and let you all know the outcome . Appreciate all the advice though guys so thank you :)

Attached Files: