I can't help looking at them even though I've been warned off (weimaraner) General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by x-clo-x, Jun 1, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

I can't help looking at them even though I've been warned off (weimaraner)

having a day off today ive been throwing myself into some research on what dog i want next.

and even though i have been told that they arent for me, id be stupid to get one etc. i cant help looking at them and reading about them. i find them fascinating.

ive found an old book of nanas with different breeds in, and just reading about them has amazed me. (this book is really old i think) it says there are probabaly 1000-1500 in the country today :lol:

ive learnt just from this book, some can be born with tan markings on legs, i never knew that before :lol: they have also been compared to cats in the sense that they often groom themselves :lol:

ive enjoyed reading it, and it really hasnt put me off them at all.

why do people think id be so unsuitable for one?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Who has advised you to avoid getting a Weim?

Did they have sound reasons? Are they themselves either Weim breeders or owners?

Like you, I'm an admirer of this breed and have - confession time! - spent a few hours on a Weim Rescue site.......

However, having met several now, I don't think they are the 'right' breed for me - but clearly you are fascinated by them :)
  4. Dolce

Dolce New Member

Name:
    /\oo/\
    i think they are stunning dogs, but im not sure i could cope with one. I base this purely on watching a man try to walk three of them at the same time, when they decide they want to go see/sniff something, theres not much he can do about it.

mind you, i think 3 Maddies or 3 any type of dog would be a handful to walk at one time!
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    You are not "unsuitable" for any breed provided you have realistic expections, have done your research and you know what you are getting yourself in for. I guess people have voiced concerns because Chinese Cresteds and Weimaraners are about as polar opposite as two breeds get in pretty much every respect.

The HPR category of dogs are not often recommended mainly because they are fairly challenging, especially compared to all the other gundog breeds.

General dog books don't really give you a 'fair' idea of what most breeds are actually like.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    alot of my family really dont like them... and it has been said on here how hard they are as a breed. also a man in the pub said i was stupid for wanting one (apparently not a dog for a girl like me?) but the only person whos opnion i would value, is my uncle whos a gamekeeper and said out of all the gundogs they are the hardest to train, and he wouldnt have one.

we had a few in at work, and from meeting them they have given me mixed reviews, some were very skitty and high strung, but some were absolutely fab and i loved looking after them while they were in.
    most recently i met a girl who is 19, had a weim for her first dog at 16, and she has done gundog work with him, hunting pointing and retrieving, she now has a male dobermann too. and he is an absolute credit to her. if you saw her in the street you wouldnt think they would be the dogs she would own.

dont get me wrong i like alot of breeds, and im finding it hard in choosing my next one, but i find it strange that so many people say dont get one of those, or i couldnt handle one, when i dont see how they are different to any other dog.
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    EVERY breed of dog is different to one another. Obviously you have breeds of dog that are generally considered to be 'easier' than others. Then on the other hand, you have breeds that are on the whole a lot more challenging. IMO, a lot more breeds fit into the 'easier' category than the 'challenging' category. Weimaraners don't fit into the 'easier' category, and are therefore are a bit "different" to the average Labrador or Cocker Spaniel.
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i walk 6 flatcoats at a time, if they want to eat something (usually poo :roll: ) you dont get much choice :lol: usually they are very well behaved though :grin:
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i have always wanted big breeds, ones that i can do stuff with (so gundog mainly) but my nana wouldnt let me have a big breed, thats why i initially went for the cresteds as i was told i couldnt have a big dog.
    i know the books dont give a real insight to the breed. but ive been looking on breeders websites and things as well.
  10. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i know all dogs are different, but i generally dont see how one dog is harder to train than another. i know some pick things up quickly and will do anything to please you, some take a while to pick things up, some only do something if they want to, but i truly think you just have to find how the dog works best and adapt to it, and train in a way that compliments the dog and how its brain works.
  11. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    That is fine, but again, out of all of the gundog breeds you would be starting with one of the most challenging breeds. Weims are also not like your 'typical' gundog (retrievers, spaniels, etc.) in temperament -- quite the opposite again.
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    well maybe i just seem to like the more difficult... as my next out of gundogs would be the GSP or english setter... and cresteds arent the typical easy toy breed type :lol:
  13. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I agree with Labradork, weims are the odd one out in the HPR group, both in terms of temperament and style of working. I'd love a Brittany but again, these are a challenging breed and even though I own and train a HPR I wouldnt opt for a Brittany until i'd had alot more experience with other HPR's.

It might be a good idea to get yourself along to GWT or Spring Pointing Test (those are probably about over now though) or even just a HPR training class to appreciate the challenges you may face with a weim.
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Do you know anyone who has a Weim that you could spend some time with? Maybe you could offer to walk the Weim sometimes?

Or - would it be an option to contact a Weim rescue, and see if they need foster homes for some of their dogs...?

That way you could really get to know a Weim, maybe several, and find out if this is the 'right' dog for you.....

Since you say you value your uncle's opinion, it is interesting that he has warned you against this breed.

BUT when all is said and done, only you can make the decision. I would definitely recommend contacting breed rescue first though and asking about fostering.

Let us know what happens?
  15. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree, they are not the easiest of breeds to own, in saying that there is always the exception to the rule, I have friends who are on their third (I think) the first two were what I would call typical of the breed, hard work with temperament issues (in different degrees) fab dogs, but for a couple who both work for a living but very dedicated to their dogs, it was a challenge.

The girl they have now is totally different, friends (hairdressers) and have their own salon they also have two young children, and work very long days......

The girl is so laid back, enjoys the salon atmosphere, she greets all the clients, and spends most of her day pottering aroudn the salon and the garden... along with playing with the two children, she loves meeting new people and beign fussed by them......

She shows none of the timidness or weariness that the breed can be prone to, so all in all, it can also be down to individual dogs, but if you end up with a typical Weimi you may find you have taken on more than you can deal with.

And to be frank, there is no way you can compare your CC`s to any of the larger gundogs or working groups, they are completey poles apart, even the worst behaved CC will have no comparision to a challeging larger working or gundog breed.
  16. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  17. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    When I had my Cairn terriers years ago I met a man with a lovely Weim when they were much more uncommon. He said he had got it cheap because it was mismarked with tan blotches on its legs but it was a lovely temperament which is much more important than looks!

We considered this breed but too large for our garden and we met a few very aggressive ones but I think if you research and get one from the right breeder who breeds for temperament as well as looks and health you should be ok.
    It is just the 2 we see regularly who are both muzzled and they scare the pants off me as the lady owner can hardly hold them! I know she is being responsible muzzling them but then she just lets them off-lead and with Cherry I find it a bit scary as they aren't obedient.
  18. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    There are still some GPTs to come.

Interesting thread, I don't know enough about wiems (I like to know quite a bit about a breed before I comment on it) but...

One thing I know is - temperament traits are certainly not limited to one breed and one breed is not limited to one temperament, what ever bred you choose it's worth finding out about the temperament of the puppies parents and relatives ;-) when looking at a dog of such size and strength, if not with the charater you are looking for - can be a big problem, but I'm sure you've already thought about that.

Good luck with what ever breed you decide on :grin: if you are 100% comitted / prepared and know exactly what you getting (down to which lines) and put the effort in to training which ever breed you get I'm sure you'll get the dog you're after.

Hope I'm not repeating what others have said too much.
  19. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Weimaraners are not "difficult" to train. I have a bit of knowledge about the breed so if you have any questions hopefully I might be able to answer them

Tan markings (or ginger jobs as they are commonly known) or "peach points" go back to how the Weimaraner was engineered way back. You do not see them often but they occur;

Most are bred for show or pet homes and have often had their "attitude" bred out of them, those people who have owned the former can get a bit of a shock when they get a "real one"! ;)

The first (and to date only) Working Trials Champion was owned by a woman who had NEVER owned any type of dog before! ;)
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear